Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > General Health Matters

Notices
General Health Matters From Runny Eyes to Dentistry

Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Dry Skin?

Hi Everyone

Well I have another question. Murray had an intense itching session last night. I don't think that it is allergies, although I did give him a benadryl to take the edge off. I am thinking dry skin as the furnace has been on more, the house is dry and considering that I have noticed that my skin is very dry. I know that somewhere I read about skin-so-soft, but could not find the thread this morning. Could you tell me if I use a certain amount of it with water, what is the dilution? Or can I use baby oil?

Thank you,

Itchy Murray and Murray's Mom
Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default skin so soft

Is this the one made by Avon? If it is I would imagine you would use it undiluted as I think it is a lotion. I use d-10 made for dogs. It's for minor cuts,abrasions and itching. You can get a stick from pets at home . It looks like a man's deoderant stick. It is for dry skin. I have one somewhere, can't remember what it's called offhand but it is also for the pads safeguards them from snow ice and prevents chapping.

Will find it and get back to you with the name.

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default skin so soft

Found it. It is called itchstick and is made by Petkin.

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Thank you, will check this out. He seems to have settled down for now. I had some vitamin E oil that I used and just rubbed it into his skin and coat. But will definitely look at the itchstick.

Murray's Mom
Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray's Mom View Post
Hi Everyone

Well I have another question. Murray had an intense itching session last night. I don't think that it is allergies, although I did give him a benadryl to take the edge off. I am thinking dry skin as the furnace has been on more, the house is dry and considering that I have noticed that my skin is very dry. I know that somewhere I read about skin-so-soft, but could not find the thread this morning. Could you tell me if I use a certain amount of it with water, what is the dilution? Or can I use baby oil?

Thank you,

Itchy Murray and Murray's Mom
Hi hun, which food are you feeding now? I cant remember if you said (there are so many threads on here) lol. Poor quality food will cause itching unless there is an allergy to certain ingredients which is common like Corn/Maize, Soya, Rice even etc etc.

This is only personal belief but like anything, I would have thought that giving Benadryl long term will not be good - it should only be a 'stop gap'. Give this up and find the cause whether it be food or some skin condition.

I hope this link will help ............

http://www.doctordog.com/itch.html

Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Hi hun, which food are you feeding now? I cant remember if you said (there are so many threads on here) lol. Poor quality food will cause itching unless there is an allergy to certain ingredients which is common like Corn/Maize, Soya, Rice even etc etc.

This is only personal belief but like anything, I would have thought that giving Benadryl long term will not be good - it should only be a 'stop gap'. Give this up and find the cause whether it be food or some skin condition.

I hope this link will help ............

http://www.doctordog.com/itch.html
Hi Lia,
Just read above link. Murray is getting an all natural dog food,only Lamb and Rice, as he has food allergies, and also an extra omega -3, a capsule that that I poke a small hole in and squeeze on his food. Thinking this may be dry skin, as it has calmed down quite a bit since I put some Vitamin E oil on him. The vet ( imagine that) told me to give him Benadryl as it was supposed to be the safest of all the antihistamines, but I try to only use this if I have to, usually during pollination times. Will see how he does tonight.

Thank you for all your help,

Murray's Mom
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsiepops View Post
Found it. It is called itchstick and is made by Petkin.

I checked out this link today, lots of interesting things. Have you tried the wipes for the eyes? Will definitely be going back to this.

Thank you,

Murray's Mom
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Default petkin

Quote:
I checked out this link today, lots of interesting things. Have you tried the wipes for the eyes? Will definitely be going back to this.

Thank you,

Murray's Mom

Haven't tried the eye wipes but I have tried the ear wipes they are good, Don,t use them now. I don't get gunky ears now since I've been using the Thornits. I call it miracle powder The beauty of the ibternet you can buy anything from anywhere any time.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Lia,
Just read above link. Murray is getting an all natural dog food,only Lamb and Rice, as he has food allergies, and also an extra omega -3, a capsule that that I poke a small hole in and squeeze on his food. Thinking this may be dry skin, as it has calmed down quite a bit since I put some Vitamin E oil on him. The vet ( imagine that) told me to give him Benadryl as it was supposed to be the safest of all the antihistamines, but I try to only use this if I have to, usually during pollination times. Will see how he does tonight.

Thank you for all your help,

Murray's Mom
What about trying this product - its a big seller at the champ show stands ...........

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-plus

Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
What about trying this product - its a big seller at the champ show stands ...........

http://www.lintbells.com/products/yumega-plus
Thank you Lia. Did check this out, but didn't see where they had this set up for the United States, maybe I missed it. Murray did okay last night, he did his usual morning itch this morning and is laying here on the floor in the computer room. If this is dry skin, what would you recommend, the Vitamin E oil has helped, but now his coat looks a little "oily" and I am not sure if I should bathe him or what to do, if anything?

Murray's Mom