Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > General Health Matters

Notices
General Health Matters From Runny Eyes to Dentistry

Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Question Scratching/Licking Lhasa

Hi All
Our 3 Year old Lhasa did have a lot of skin problems,very red patchy skin,flaking etc.But on our last vet visit they suggested going over to a fish & potatoe diet (fish 4 dogs) recommended by dermotologists.
Its worked well for her skin but she still licks her legs a lot,and scratches,mainly standing & scratching with her rear legs, under her belly.I don"t know if just a habit now because sometimes she lifts her leg to scratch then stops.
Theres nothing to be seen on her skin but i'm a bit worried in case its internal problem eg.blood disorder or something.
Your thoughts please
Many thanks
Brian
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronkone7 View Post
Hi All
Our 3 Year old Lhasa did have a lot of skin problems,very red patchy skin,flaking etc.But on our last vet visit they suggested going over to a fish & potatoe diet (fish 4 dogs) recommended by dermotologists.
Its worked well for her skin but she still licks her legs a lot,and scratches,mainly standing & scratching with her rear legs, under her belly.I don"t know if just a habit now because sometimes she lifts her leg to scratch then stops.
Theres nothing to be seen on her skin but i'm a bit worried in case its internal problem eg.blood disorder or something.
Your thoughts please
Many thanks
Brian
Hi Brian and a warm welcome.

Poor food is one of the main causes for itching/allergies so by feeding fish4dogs is a good move. Its one of the better ones. Even better is to use a holistic food like Burns or Natural Dog Food - holistic is the best way to go and Sue on here (holmfirth bailey) is an advocate for NDF and I and others on here feed this food. There is nothing bad in this food whatsoever and everything is 100% natural and no fillers, colourants or additives in it at all - no artificial ingredients, free from wheat, dairy and soya, hypoallergenic, no by-products or derivatives. 100% human grade ingredients and rich in fresh british meats ............

www.naturaldogfoodcompany.com - or contact Sue on here in the food section - you will see where to go Im sure

Fish4dogs is good but this food is even better.

Also I would suggest you buy some Thornit - its a miracle powder - its mainly for the ears but bear with me whilst I explain. First by using a small amount of thornit in your pooche's ears each month, he/she will never have any ear problems - even vets dont have this and its fantastic and others on here will tell you the same. The point Im getting to is this - put some thornit in a food bag, put poochie's paw into it - hold the bag closed against his leg/s and shake - the thornit will cover his lower leg and foot and if the itching is in this area, it will rid the itch - you may have to do this each day until it ceases. If on the upper leg, rub some into the affected area where its itchy and even on the tummy area.

Check this full list ............

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?rls=ig...w=1366&bih=587

Im Lia by the way and Im owned by four apsos - Honey, Lexi, Bruce and Kai - once again welcome on board xxx

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Change in diet will only work if your dog has a food allergy , on the other hand your dog could be allergic to almost anything ( plants , dust , pollen , grass ) . Personally I'd get your vet to do a proper allergy test to narrow down the field . Kirsty
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Yes there is this too Kirsty - the skin is showing signs of healing hence the change of food - I mentioned the thornit as a starter just to see if this will cure the rest

Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

Hi there....not sure where all my posts are regarding Leos itchy sqitchys....its along story so I will give you short version if you want more info pm me. Leo started excessive licking of back legs and where he goolies were at the end of may. We have spent nearly £1500 on skin scrapes, skin biopsies and finally allergy blood tests. All covered on insurance but still a very long process. We are now three weeks into the desensitising vacinations. The scale is 1 - 5 for the allergies. He has a 5 for dust mites and storage mites (which are in the grains in kibble) also a he scores 1 for lamb and beef and three different grasses and 2 weeds. also cows milk and stafflocci bacteria. In my view if you can afford it or it is covered on insurance have the blood tests, you will waste so much money trying to find a solution and you are trying to find a needle in a haystack. We thought it could have been habit as he had had his goolies off in mid may and it all started then so thought he could just have got into the habit of licking the area that seems strange. We spent a fortune on shampoos sprays antihistimines and it has all been very distressing as we obviously want him to be a happy little boy. The injections can take months to work but we have little choice. Dust mites are impossible to irradicate from our homes and storage mites is another subject which makes me very cross. Our vet has said to not bother trying to change his diet as then we will not know what has worked and what hasn't but I am having second thought about this. I think I am going to buy a book re dog nutrition and feed him a homecooked diet. the blood test costs getting on for £500 and I have the name of the company that did it if you would like it. He is no better yet but at least we know what it is. Everyone will have a different idea about what is causing the problem but you will drive yourself crazy listening to everyones opinion because nobody can tell you completly without this kind of dianostic proceedure.
Leo came from very good stock and his breeder has been breeding Lhasa apsos since the late 70's and has never had a dog with this problem, so there is just no rhyum or reason for it. Please feel free to contact me directly if you want further info....happy to talk on the phone if you would rather.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

also Leo has had some visible skin problems....(most of the time there is absolutly nothing to see on his skin) which have been stafflocci infections.....as he has allergy to this kind of infection also, he has had two lots of anti biotics to clear them up.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Many thanks for all your replies,i will give Thornit a go as she does have a lot of dry skin (sometimes) in her ears as well.
Not to keen on changing food again as we"ve had 3 years of fussy eating so its nice to see her eat fish4dogs so well.
I can't find it at the moment but i read about putting cider vinegar in there water,so will give that a go.
May have to eventually go blood/skin test route.
Many thanks
Brian
Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronkone7 View Post
Many thanks for all your replies,i will give Thornit a go as she does have a lot of dry skin (sometimes) in her ears as well.
Not to keen on changing food again as we"ve had 3 years of fussy eating so its nice to see her eat fish4dogs so well.
I can't find it at the moment but i read about putting cider vinegar in there water,so will give that a go.
May have to eventually go blood/skin test route.
Many thanks
Brian
Here you are Brian (well this is one of them anyway and the main one as Zuzana began this) ............

http://www.lhasa-apso-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1064