Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > General Health Matters

Notices
General Health Matters From Runny Eyes to Dentistry

Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default anal gland abcess

As some of you know Posy has had repeated anal gland abcessess. Ive tried everything to prevent them so far as it being nearly a full time job caring for her bottom.

Two days ago she had two that burst, 1 either side with absolutely no warning. I had checked her the day before.

The vet previously said that adding bran helps to firm up the stools.

I saw a different vet this time who says the new thinking with this problem is that its a genetic problem and nothing to do with food or exercise which is good in one way because it means its not my fault but bad because it means I cant help her.

He said to try putting her on strong anti biotics for a month to try to kill the infection as the lining of her anal gladn has probably thickened due to repeated infections so is more prone to infection

I have to take her up in a week when the inflamation has gone down and he will rectally examine
her to see how thickened it is.

Then she will have to go up for monthly checks to try to keep it under control. He says its extrememly rare for them to get two at the same time and if it comes back the only option is surgery to remove the glands.

Im obviously hoping it wont come to this but I have to say its not looking good for her.

Sorry posted in wrong area :roll:
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Default Re: anal gland abcess

Poor Posy, poor you.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
queenbe

If it is genetic have you spoken to her breeder to see if she can help with anything?

This is not very nice for either of you is it? Bless her little heart..........
Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

I did mention it to her when she had the first one and then again when she had the second as I got Posy when she was 11 months old. She said she had had no problems with her before I had her or her other dogs which is why I assumed it was something I was doing and felt really guilty.

But that said I have 7 dogs 3 of them apsos and one a shiddie and they have no problems,( touch wood, turn around three times, fingers crossed,) so it must be something just with her.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Mmmm I have my own thoughts about this as you know Bridget. I would definitely have another chat with the breeder.

If it comes to surgery, then maybe its the best option to rid this for good. Surgery may be expensive but so will repeated visits and medication if not done. Its a vicious circle I think but for her sake and her health, I think I would opt for the operation if this will cure the problem. This is only my personal view.

Keep us informed as to how it all goes x

Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I took Posy for her check 6 weeks ago and she was fine, I took her again today and saw a different vet and she had a small amount to get out. The problem is that her duct is tiny and the stuff which is supposed to be fluid is hard, dry and crumbly and she said if I hadnt taken her up it would have become an abcess. It blocks the entrance to the duct so builds up inside. The vet said she hadnt seen anything like it before and couldnt think of anything to help her.

Again, the only thing is an op. I have rung up today for a quote and am waiting for a reply.

I think I will wait for her to have another 6 week check before I decide. Its hard, I dont want her to go through a 6 weekly check and clean for the rest of her life, its not nice and she is really good having it done but not fair to keep on with it.

Im scared of the op, it sounds horrible, I asked about it today. Theres a risk of infection due to the op site being so close to the bottom, there is a small risk of faecal incontinence afterwards. She will also be shaved so it will put paid to her small blossoming show career (1 win)

It will be so sore for her afterwards and Im scared of general anesthetics.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM

To be fair I think I would have them removed. Thats a lot of problems she has had and you have tried every other alternative.

But please be aware that removing the anal glands can make them incontinent. Its not common but it has been known to happen.

But weighing up everything else it would be a risk I would be willing to take.

I hope this does not stress you out more, hopefully you can make a better informed decisision! good luck! xxx
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollybridge View Post
Well, I took Posy for her check 6 weeks ago and she was fine, I took her again today and saw a different vet and she had a small amount to get out. The problem is that her duct is tiny and the stuff which is supposed to be fluid is hard, dry and crumbly and she said if I hadnt taken her up it would have become an abcess. It blocks the entrance to the duct so builds up inside. The vet said she hadnt seen anything like it before and couldnt think of anything to help her.

Again, the only thing is an op. I have rung up today for a quote and am waiting for a reply.

I think I will wait for her to have another 6 week check before I decide. Its hard, I dont want her to go through a 6 weekly check and clean for the rest of her life, its not nice and she is really good having it done but not fair to keep on with it.

Im scared of the op, it sounds horrible, I asked about it today. Theres a risk of infection due to the op site being so close to the bottom, there is a small risk of faecal incontinence afterwards. She will also be shaved so it will put paid to her small blossoming show career (1 win)

It will be so sore for her afterwards and Im scared of general anesthetics.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I'm so sorry you and Posy have to go through this :-( After reading all the posts on this i would also be inclined to have the glands removed, but it is easy to say when its not your dog. I check all the girls glands when they are bathed, Dolly has a very thick secretion that is difficult to express, she often scoots which is a sign they need doing but i cant get anything out, nor can the vet?? I keep my eye on her...

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!

http://throughmycamera.webeden.co.uk/
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Administrator

What a dilemma Bridget! I would be the same as you - on here asking for advice and also going out of my mind trying to make that decision. It doesnt matter how much advice we give amongst us all, it still is your decision that is final and a decision you are happy with -whichever way you decide.

At the end of the day, you have to think of Posybo and although you are very scared of the anaesthesia, these days, they are well trusted but this is not to say that they are without the 'worry factor'. Im the same. I panicked when mine had anaesthesia to clean their teeth let alone anything else and I certainly was worried sick when Lexi had to have this for a c-section so I do understand where you are coming from and how you feel.

From everything you have said, I personally would let her have the operation. The result will be that she will never have an abcess again - ok, the downside is she may have an infection which can be cleaned up with antibiotics and she may become faecal incontinent ...........but she may not. This is a risk - she may be one of the lucky ones who will not have this. Its a chance you have to take (if you take it) but it will most certainly be better for her in the long run.

Im sure you will make your decision wisely but whichever way you go, we know you will be thinking of Posybo whether it be continue as she is or go with the operation - both options have their downsides - its working out which would be the best for her.

Good luck and best wishes in whatever you decide xx

Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 AM

That is such sad news for you, I know how devasted you are over the whole thing!!!.....

Just a couple of thoughts which may be quite out of wack, but still...

Could you learn how to do them and do them every wash day???? to prevent any build up at all???
If you put sticky sort of cream on the duct would it keep it softer and let the yuck come out instead of drying over the top???
Could the vet surgically enlarge the duct entrance???
Can you get another vet's opinion as well, from a different practice????

But if in doubt Google it and try and find someone else who has had the same thing, try other forums too.