Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > GPRA Eye Examiners

Notices
GPRA Eye Examiners List of GPRA Eye Examiners for 2011 and their destinations

Old 08-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
We should find out more on Sunday 3rd after Birmingham as there is a talk on it. I will make some notes and update you all.
Thank you

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Ditto x
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Hey guys. So, for personal reasons, I didn't make it to the show or seminar on Sunday. However, I attached the website where the presentation delivered can be found.

Happy reading.

http://www.laawsw.co.uk/
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Thank you Amanda .......... having not shown for some time now, it's difficult to be present at events like this so thanks for putting up the link for us to read. For some it may sound confusing though lol ............ very interesting indeed

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Got Bobbys results through today and he is clear! So not got it and not a carrier. Going to order a kit for Dolly next.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey guys. So, for personal reasons, I didn't make it to the show or seminar on Sunday. However, I attached the website where the presentation delivered can be found.

Happy reading.

http://www.laawsw.co.uk/
I'll have a look shortly xx

Quote:
Got Bobbys results through today and he is clear! So not got it and not a carrier. Going to order a kit for Dolly next.
Fantastic Amanda. I'm so pleased for you and Bobby xx
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Super news

Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I got this the other day

Dear Rachel Smith,

We are delighted to report that a mutation causing progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) in the Lhasa Apso has been identified at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust (AHT).

We are calling this form PRA type-4 (PRA4) to distinguish it from other genetic forms of PRA that occur in other breeds. For more information on this DNA test, please visit our Webshop page: http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/tests...he-lhasa-apso/.

You kindly submitted a DNA sample from your dog(s) listed below towards our research, which contributed towards the PRA4 study. If you would like to know your dog’s PRA4 DNA test result free of charge, please reply to this email.

Dog Name
Chloe

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Spot on Elaine ..... I wonder what Lyn's thoughts are on this x
I think it is brilliant that they have identified the gene responsible, however they are still saying that despite having the dogs DNA tested they should also be eye tested yearly in case there is another strain?
I am finding this a bit hard to understand to be honest as no other breed is asking for both.
Yes it should be compulsory but No it wont be.
And are the people who knock out unregistered litters going to DNA test? are they hell!
How many times have i been told " I dont need to test as I have no problems in my line" well lucky them that they have had no dog affected...YET
Im afraid it can happen to any of us at any time.
And as long as people continue to buy from these ignorant people the problem will perpetuate, hence why I always say buy from KC registered parents only, with unaffected eye certificates, or the DNA test.
Look on facebook at the Lhasa groups theres droves of unregistered puppies, no eye tests, when anyone queries they say oh the parents are health checked, its not enough im afraid, and every single person who buys from these people is making the problem bigger because for every one you buy they will breed another ten!
The Kennel club should refuse to register puppies in every breed unless the recommended health tests are carried out and documentation is available but they wont as they would lose millions!
All we can do is keep our own noses clean and sleep with our own conscience.
Lyn
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpram View Post
I got this the other day

Dear Rachel Smith,

We are delighted to report that a mutation causing progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) in the Lhasa Apso has been identified at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust (AHT).

We are calling this form PRA type-4 (PRA4) to distinguish it from other genetic forms of PRA that occur in other breeds. For more information on this DNA test, please visit our Webshop page: http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/tests...he-lhasa-apso/.

You kindly submitted a DNA sample from your dog(s) listed below towards our research, which contributed towards the PRA4 study. If you would like to know your dog’s PRA4 DNA test result free of charge, please reply to this email.

Dog Name
Chloe

Awww Rachel .... my eyes filled up and my heart ached when I read this ... this said, I am so glad to see they wrote to you ... are you sending for the test result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn View Post
I think it is brilliant that they have identified the gene responsible, however they are still saying that despite having the dogs DNA tested they should also be eye tested yearly in case there is another strain?
I am finding this a bit hard to understand to be honest as no other breed is asking for both.
Yes it should be compulsory but No it wont be.
And are the people who knock out unregistered litters going to DNA test? are they hell!
How many times have i been told " I dont need to test as I have no problems in my line" well lucky them that they have had no dog affected...YET
Im afraid it can happen to any of us at any time.
And as long as people continue to buy from these ignorant people the problem will perpetuate, hence why I always say buy from KC registered parents only, with unaffected eye certificates, or the DNA test.
Look on facebook at the Lhasa groups theres droves of unregistered puppies, no eye tests, when anyone queries they say oh the parents are health checked, its not enough im afraid, and every single person who buys from these people is making the problem bigger because for every one you buy they will breed another ten!
The Kennel club should refuse to register puppies in every breed unless the recommended health tests are carried out and documentation is available but they wont as they would lose millions!
All we can do is keep our own noses clean and sleep with our own conscience.
Lyn

I cannot agree with you more Lyn .... it will never cease even though yes, it's good the gene has been identified ....... I keep seeing people on fb saying such as "oh look at my new litter etc etc" ... I cringe and I am dying to say something but I have to stop myself! They have no bl**dy idea or, they do and just don't give a damn!

And another thing, why are some saying 'clear' ?? When it is in actual fact 'unaffected' ...... is it not?