Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > GPRA Eye Examiners

Notices
GPRA Eye Examiners List of GPRA Eye Examiners for 2011 and their destinations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-21-2017, 05:33 PM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 69,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
We should find out more on Sunday 3rd after Birmingham as there is a talk on it. I will make some notes and update you all.
Thank you
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-21-2017, 07:44 PM
elaine archie's Avatar
elaine archie elaine archie is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Posts: 22,725
Default

Ditto x
__________________
The Lhasa Apso............It's all about attitude!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Awhite11's Avatar
Awhite11 Awhite11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Selby, North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,211
Default

Hey guys. So, for personal reasons, I didn't make it to the show or seminar on Sunday. However, I attached the website where the presentation delivered can be found.

Happy reading.

http://www.laawsw.co.uk/
__________________
[/SIGPIC]"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"
Amanda, Bobby, Belle & Dolly xx
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 PM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 69,200
Default

Thank you Amanda .......... having not shown for some time now, it's difficult to be present at events like this so thanks for putting up the link for us to read. For some it may sound confusing though lol ............ very interesting indeed
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Awhite11's Avatar
Awhite11 Awhite11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Selby, North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,211
Default

Got Bobbys results through today and he is clear! So not got it and not a carrier. Going to order a kit for Dolly next.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"
Amanda, Bobby, Belle & Dolly xx
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 PM
elaine archie's Avatar
elaine archie elaine archie is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Posts: 22,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
Hey guys. So, for personal reasons, I didn't make it to the show or seminar on Sunday. However, I attached the website where the presentation delivered can be found.

Happy reading.

http://www.laawsw.co.uk/
I'll have a look shortly xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
Got Bobbys results through today and he is clear! So not got it and not a carrier. Going to order a kit for Dolly next.
Fantastic Amanda. I'm so pleased for you and Bobby xx
__________________
The Lhasa Apso............It's all about attitude!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 AM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 69,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
Got Bobbys results through today and he is clear! So not got it and not a carrier. Going to order a kit for Dolly next.
Super news
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Dogpram's Avatar
Dogpram Dogpram is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bolton UK
Posts: 26,012
Default

I got this the other day

Dear Rachel Smith,

We are delighted to report that a mutation causing progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) in the Lhasa Apso has been identified at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust (AHT).

We are calling this form PRA type-4 (PRA4) to distinguish it from other genetic forms of PRA that occur in other breeds. For more information on this DNA test, please visit our Webshop page: http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/tests...he-lhasa-apso/.

You kindly submitted a DNA sample from your dog(s) listed below towards our research, which contributed towards the PRA4 study. If you would like to know your dog’s PRA4 DNA test result free of charge, please reply to this email.

Dog Name
Chloe
__________________
Rachel & the Girls xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM
lyn lyn is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Heathrow UK
Posts: 2,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Spot on Elaine ..... I wonder what Lyn's thoughts are on this x
I think it is brilliant that they have identified the gene responsible, however they are still saying that despite having the dogs DNA tested they should also be eye tested yearly in case there is another strain?
I am finding this a bit hard to understand to be honest as no other breed is asking for both.
Yes it should be compulsory but No it wont be.
And are the people who knock out unregistered litters going to DNA test? are they hell!
How many times have i been told " I dont need to test as I have no problems in my line" well lucky them that they have had no dog affected...YET
Im afraid it can happen to any of us at any time.
And as long as people continue to buy from these ignorant people the problem will perpetuate, hence why I always say buy from KC registered parents only, with unaffected eye certificates, or the DNA test.
Look on facebook at the Lhasa groups theres droves of unregistered puppies, no eye tests, when anyone queries they say oh the parents are health checked, its not enough im afraid, and every single person who buys from these people is making the problem bigger because for every one you buy they will breed another ten!
The Kennel club should refuse to register puppies in every breed unless the recommended health tests are carried out and documentation is available but they wont as they would lose millions!
All we can do is keep our own noses clean and sleep with our own conscience.
Lyn
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 69,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpram View Post
I got this the other day

Dear Rachel Smith,

We are delighted to report that a mutation causing progressive retinal atrophy (PRA) in the Lhasa Apso has been identified at the Kennel Club Genetics Centre at the Animal Health Trust (AHT).

We are calling this form PRA type-4 (PRA4) to distinguish it from other genetic forms of PRA that occur in other breeds. For more information on this DNA test, please visit our Webshop page: http://www.ahtdnatesting.co.uk/tests...he-lhasa-apso/.

You kindly submitted a DNA sample from your dog(s) listed below towards our research, which contributed towards the PRA4 study. If you would like to know your dog’s PRA4 DNA test result free of charge, please reply to this email.

Dog Name
Chloe

Awww Rachel .... my eyes filled up and my heart ached when I read this ... this said, I am so glad to see they wrote to you ... are you sending for the test result?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn View Post
I think it is brilliant that they have identified the gene responsible, however they are still saying that despite having the dogs DNA tested they should also be eye tested yearly in case there is another strain?
I am finding this a bit hard to understand to be honest as no other breed is asking for both.
Yes it should be compulsory but No it wont be.
And are the people who knock out unregistered litters going to DNA test? are they hell!
How many times have i been told " I dont need to test as I have no problems in my line" well lucky them that they have had no dog affected...YET
Im afraid it can happen to any of us at any time.
And as long as people continue to buy from these ignorant people the problem will perpetuate, hence why I always say buy from KC registered parents only, with unaffected eye certificates, or the DNA test.
Look on facebook at the Lhasa groups theres droves of unregistered puppies, no eye tests, when anyone queries they say oh the parents are health checked, its not enough im afraid, and every single person who buys from these people is making the problem bigger because for every one you buy they will breed another ten!
The Kennel club should refuse to register puppies in every breed unless the recommended health tests are carried out and documentation is available but they wont as they would lose millions!
All we can do is keep our own noses clean and sleep with our own conscience.
Lyn

I cannot agree with you more Lyn .... it will never cease even though yes, it's good the gene has been identified ....... I keep seeing people on fb saying such as "oh look at my new litter etc etc" ... I cringe and I am dying to say something but I have to stop myself! They have no bl**dy idea or, they do and just don't give a damn!


And another thing, why are some saying 'clear' ?? When it is in actual fact 'unaffected' ...... is it not?
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.