Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > General Training

Notices
General Training Any advice or experiences on training

Old 04-03-2016, 10:53 AM

Im avidly reading about the adult coat coming through and all the grooming products are an investment into Archies wellbeing I have lots of leave in conditioner, hair masks in the house anyway as it is the only thing I use on my own hair everyday. I looked at a close up picture of a Lhasa's hair on the Internet and it is so wiry!!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:13 AM

It's course on top but fluffy and soft underneath
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolywooly View Post
Im avidly reading about the adult coat coming through and all the grooming products are an investment into Archies wellbeing I have lots of leave in conditioner, hair masks in the house anyway as it is the only thing I use on my own hair everyday. I looked at a close up picture of a Lhasa's hair on the Internet and it is so wiry!!
The correct wording of the apso coat is as follows:

Top coat long, heavy, straight, hard neither woolly nor silky. Moderate undercoat.

Couple of links for you ............

http://www.noelac.org/Breed%20Standard.html

http://www.noelac.org/Beths%20Info.html

I would never use a leave-conditioner in the coat because all this does is 'coat the coat strands' if this makes sense and can in actual fact tangle even more and attract more debris. A good coat shouldn't need conditioner. This said, my Honey's coat is better with conditioner as is Bruce's. Mooky does not need it and Lexi doesn't either although I do use it on her (habit). Kai's is fine with or without conditioner. It's too early right now but when his 'top guard coat' comes through, if you rub some strands between finger and thumb, it should feel 'grainy' to the touch ... this is correct. You will see the difference. The conditioner is best used on the ends of the coat, about two/three inches at the ends. Always use a no-tears shampoo round the eye area.

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM

My list is getting longer xx
Old 04-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Whilst Archie was snoozing I combed him and have managed to cut the fur around his pads on one paw ... He wriggled abit, chewed the handle on the comb but he was ok with it he has woke up now so will cut his fur around another paw next time he's sleepy. I'm just going slowly with grooming as at 10 weeks I think it's better to get him accustomed to scissors and combs in short sessions. Xx
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Whilst Archie was snoozing I combed him and have managed to cut the fur around his pads on one paw ... He wriggled abit, chewed the handle on the comb but he was ok with it he has woke up now so will cut his fur around another paw next time he's sleepy. I'm just going slowly with grooming as at 10 weeks I think it's better to get him accustomed to scissors and combs in short sessions. Xx
It's a good thing that you are doing this Julie because this all goes towards him becoming accustomed to grooming and, it's good he is laying down for you because when you 'want him to lay', he will .... when you say you cut round his paws, are you actually trimming the hair between the pads? if not, this has to be done too. If you are not sure, let me know. Also, to get hi used to the dryer, you can also put the dryer on in the background so that he can become used to the 'sound' of it. Then put on a cool setting and gently let the air stream go over his body. It will all add to helping him accept all aspects of bathing and grooming ... well done x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 04-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Thanks for letting me know about how to condition him correctly Lia, as he is mostly black will his fur be more coarse? I was trimming the hair growing in between his pads, am buying some safety scissors tomorrow, shampoo, detangling spray and a slicker brush. Don't think I will ever have as much grooming items as you xx
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about how to condition him correctly Lia, as he is mostly black will his fur be more coarse? I was trimming the hair growing in between his pads, am buying some safety scissors tomorrow, shampoo, detangling spray and a slicker brush. Don't think I will ever have as much grooming items as you xx
Lol you will eventually ....... I actually threw out loads of 'half used' bottles of lotions and potions today .... bought a stack of canvas drawers in a stand from Aldi this afternoon and filled them all up with all my grooming aids lol ... worked out brilliantly.

As for the coat, colour should have no preference but it is down to the lines behind him. Kai is black and his coat is profuse takes some grooming. A top guard coat should feel 'grainy' if you rub a few strands between finger and thumb - its the only way I can explain how it should feel ... and don't forget the Thornit x

Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Ah yes il order thornit now, my friend has a WFT and plucks out his ear hair so will get her to show me. The funny thing is she has a phobia about toe nails yet will put her fingers down his waxy ears to pull out hair xx
Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 AM

I started Zali young, laying her on her side and brushing gently for only a couple minutes every day, it was a big game to her and I kept it like that. Now 3 yrs on she is a Wonderful girl to groom.

Last edited by Zalipup; 04-06-2016 at 10:34 AM.