Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Behaviour

Notices
Behaviour Any problems with behaviour can be added and discussed in this section from mild manners to the most severe

Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 PM

Default Help Needed

Pre Christmas we rescued a three and half old male called Milo. We was told he was a completely different breed and that the owners couldn't cope with him. When he arrived he had not been groomed ever, didn't know what a toy was and was untrained. It become apparent that in addition to the above he had been beaten and locked in cage for very long periods.

Since we have had him, he now plays, sits, lies, gives paw and stands on command. Cage is long gone and has freedom around the house. He is a loving little pup fantastic with small children but and here comes our issue, when an adult (mainly men) come in that either he dosnt know or has only briefly met he barks non stop and becomes very aggressive. He recently bit a visitor although not bad and several minutes later was playing and licking him he did draw blood.

Any recommendations on getting over this last herdal? I don't want to have to re home again as the little thing has been through so much already but I work full time and we have many visitors.

Thank you in advance for all help.

Mandy

Last edited by MandiJayne; 01-31-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I will come back to this as soon as I can ... just busy at the mo xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM

No problem thank you
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Firstly, well done for taking on this little chap and not giving up on him. I'm not a behaviourist, but can offer a suggestion. You need to change Milos' perception of men. If you have a male friend, or more than one (the more the merrier) to help it would be great. Set up a visit from the man, when he arrives make sure he pays absolutely no attention to Milo, definitely no eye contact. Get the man to throw a really, really tasty treat ( chicken, liver, sausage etc) away from himself, but towards Milo. This is something that will take a while, so don't expect miracles overnight. Keep doing this, eventually getting closer to the man. Milo will soon get the idea men are ok, they have treats, they are not a threat. Obviously when Milo gets used to the man/men they still need to make sure that when it comes to touching him, no fast moves and always keep their hands where Milo can see them i.e tickle him under his chin rather than patting his head. Whilst trying this keep an eye on Milo for any signs he is uncomfortable. You should be looking for stiffening of the body, lip licking, or seeing the whites of his eyes, showing his teeth or growling. If any of these occur back off a little and give him some space as these are signs of stress and he's not happy with the situation.
I hope these ideas are of some help to you and Milo. xx
Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Sorry for my delay ... and can I say all credit to you for giving Milo his loving and forever home ... I was about to say more or less the same as Elaine in her reply. Milo is obviously scared/fearful and angry of men ... something happened to him by the male species and this he is finding difficult to accept or trust in men again but with perseverance, he will - hopefully - become to realise that not all men are like the one who had so obviously abused him

Can I ask what he is like with your postman .... just curious more than anything.

Another thing .... try to ask a male visitor to walk with you when you take Milo out, even letting your male visitor take hold of the lead xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 PM

I live with 3 men, husband and two sons and he has come round to them. He loves my eldest one, took to sleeping on his bed with him haha.

We are using the treat reward when ppl come round and once they seem to have been 3 or 4 times he will still bark until they aknowledge him and he seems to settle very quickly.

Was more concerned that there was no way back.

He barks when postman comes and then likes to eat the letters behind the door haha.

But then he goes mad when anybody knocks at the door.

Another quick question; when he is barking at the strangers and even when he bite the unfortunate sole last week, his tail is wagging?

Could this behaviour be a mixture of excitement, concern and fear?

He has become one very spoilt pooch but very hard not too.

Thanks again for all your help

Mandy
Old 01-31-2018, 10:18 PM
Administrator

When he becomes OTT with the barking etc when someone knocks on the door, calmly say a resounding 'No' and calmly take him into another room and close the door. Wait until your visitor comes in but ask visitor to sit and say nothing to Milo when you let him out including not even looking at him. If he still barks, calmly back to the room and close door. Leave for say 5 mins and let him out. Repeat each time he barks when someone visits until he eventually clicks and connects the barking links to being put into another room ....

Wagging his tail whilst barking/taking a nip is unsurety ... he 'thinks' the person is ok but just in case he isn't, maybe a nip might put visitor in his place and warn him that although he is ok, don't even think of not being .... time and your efforts will build the trust with time ....

Can I also ask which food you are feeding him on please? And which treats? Food can play a big part in behaviour x

Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 PM

When he first arrived he was on bakers (that's the food that came with him). We have put him on Harringtons, as was told it's one of the better ones.

Treats we currently have training treats and pedigree smach's. He also has cocktail sausages when I am trying to get him to play nice or cheese.

Thanks

Mandy
Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Harringtons is good (Archie has Harringtons for his tea) Bunch is right not to allow him to get OTT with his barking. Lhasa can be bugger's for barking when visitors arrive as this was their job years ago at the monasteries, but they need to know when to shut up!!!!
I think, given the that you have given him some training already, you are going in the right direction with it all. The only other suggestion I can make is obviously to keep everything calm, but when he has done something right really go overboard with the fuss, so Milo knows he's done well and there is absolutely nothing to be frightened of, it's all about building confidence and being able to cope with strangers. Lhasa are naturally wary of strangers , although not nasty, so don't expect him to happily go running up to all humans, they like to sniff and decide whether they want to be bothered or not. Please stay on the forum and keep us updated and we would love to see some pictures of Milo xx

Last edited by elaine archie; 02-01-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, i cant really advise you with anything that hasn't already been said, just wanted to wish you luck, bless you for taking this little boy on. Would love to see a picture xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!

Tags
behaviour