Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Introductions > Introductions

Notices
Introductions Please tell us a little about yourself and your Apso/s

Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Anakin says Hi to everyone

Hi, I am Anita (american born, raised in germany, was married in italy, single now in Miami) from Miami in Florida USA with Anakin , my male Lhasa who is now close to 3 yrs old.
We don't see lots of Lhasa Apso's here in Florida, even I think there are, but I have seen maybe 1 in 3 yrs.
I owned a whole generation of Shih Tzu's for longer than 20 yrs in Italy where I had space and the time for them. I loved them all very deeply. Ciano. my last one just left me 3 weeks ago with close to 17 yrs of age. He was a trooper and travelled with me all over the world and nobody ever knew I had a dog in my carry on bag
When I decided to step away from Shih-Tzu's and to get a Lhasa Apso my whole life changed. I had never seen such an intelligent and funny and quirky little personality like him. He put a smile on our faces everytime, everyday. He is clean from day one, he understands everything we tell him, whether in English, Italian or Spanish language, its just amazing. He is a watchdog in our house and now condo and his voice is just amazingly loud that I had a couple of neighbor complaints to deal with.
I love this little guy so much that I feel bad leaving him everyday to go to work. He is really sad and depressed when I go to work that I used my 1 week vacation time to dedicate them all to him. We went to a dogfriendly beach in Sanibel FL and walked probably over 20 miles along the beach. I think he had fun and he never refused to walk, I never had to carry him back.

We also had problems with Anakin since the beginning. I raw fed him since he is 7 weeks old. Itchyness, scratching, hairloss, black belly ...today I am way smarter regarding shampoos and natural ways to cure hotspots, but why he is not drinking enough water and his excessive shedding is just driving me nuts. And he also must have a DNA issue in his hair since he developed a normal tipical lion look in the front but his mid and rear body and legs have very thin undercoat and spare coat unlike a Lhasa , he should be full coat everywhere. I haven't done a DNA test yet, but since I got him from a AKC breeder and paid lots of money I should see if this is a genetic disorder or not. No vet could indicate reasons for this.
Does anybody had or has any of those issues with their Lhasa?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150220_081307.jpg (40.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20150409_231657 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20150601_092523.jpg (32.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150301_205342.jpg (26.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20160725_073149_027.jpg (51.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by janaiy; 11-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Anita and Anakin and welcome to our forum .... I'm Lia and Im owned by four plus one apso lol (I say plus one because the youngest Mooky is co-owned by myself and my daughter and he lives with her) .... Honey, Lexi, Bruce and Kai live with me and we are in the UK ...

I have already replied to your other first post on here regarding Anakins problems and I have put a link up for you xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Anita, I'm Elaine and have 10 year old Archie, We are from England in the uk.
I've been thinking about Anakins coat. I know a lack of protein can affect coat growth but not sure that it would affect only the back end and not the front and black marks can be a food allergy.
I'll see if I can find the link tomorrow to where I have read this in the past xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 11-03-2017, 12:40 PM

thank you both of you so much. I am always searching for answers and learning and I am sure I can help others as well. Is everyone here from the UK or are international Lhasa owners here as well? I already took out the food allergy what is chicken and than all hot proteins. I feed him mostly Duck, some beef and organic green tripe, but mix it up sometimes with exotic proteins once in a while. I changed so many food sources and it did not made a difference to his coat at all, the best food is still raw. His coat seems a mirror, that's how shiny it gets
Old 11-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Anakin is gorgeous, sounds like you are an excellent owner to him. I'm Rachel and currently only have 2 girls Candy is 8 and Amy is 6

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Anita, scroll down to no.10 Hyperpigmentation, could it be food related?
Thinking about the back end and front end being so different, Chimera which is genetic, can cause subtle variations in form. Dogs with Chimera can have two different coat types on their body......Just a thought xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 11-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpram View Post
Anakin is gorgeous, sounds like you are an excellent owner to him. I'm Rachel and currently only have 2 girls Candy is 8 and Amy is 6
Thank you so much. I try to be a good owner, but sometimes its tough to make your babies super happy all the times. I wish I did not had to work all week to dedicate more time to him.

I was even thinking to get another Lhasa so they are in company but it depends. With some it works and with others no, depending on their personalities.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janaiy View Post
Thank you so much. I try to be a good owner, but sometimes its tough to make your babies super happy all the times. I wish I did not had to work all week to dedicate more time to him.

I was even thinking to get another Lhasa so they are in company but it depends. With some it works and with others no, depending on their personalities.

It is tough sometimes, but at the end of the day all we can do is our best for them.... I think a friend for Anakin is a good idea

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Administrator

This is an international forum Anita with members from all corners of the world and Europe ... unfortunately it is not as busy these days as facebook has taken over lol

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”