Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Question Show stance?

I was just wondering, how do you train a dog to do the stance. I'm not really sure if that's what you call it, you know the way show dogs stand. I just like how it looks and thought maybe introducing it to Oreo even though he's not showing.

By the way, he knows how to sit, down and beg now! And also the basics Ah-ah and Leave it. Yey! He is now working on stay and paw - more to go!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:53 AM

Okay, i just learned it's called stacking and saw some videos. Anyhow, tips on how to do this on a lhasa pup? Best age to start as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Teach your dog to “stack,” or stand squarely and still. Some breeds are free stacked, with the handler standing in front of them while the dog watches the handler and stands still and alert. Other breeds are “hand stacked” with each leg manually placed in position while the handler stands or kneels close to them. Figure out which one you need to do and be consistent in training.
  • Sometimes with wiggly dogs it’s easier to stack them on blocks, boards or bricks that are elevated a few inches off the ground so the dog learns to trust where you set his feet and feels secure with your placement, but if he moves his feet on his own he becomes unbalanced.
  • Never scold, but be firm. You want the stacking experience to be positive and consistent but not scary for your dog.
  • Front legs should be straight (or as straight as is allowed for your breed) and should be under the shoulder blades. Rear legs should be vertical from the hock down (for most breeds, most notably different is the German Shepherd Dog, who has a distinctive stack).
  • Feet should be facing forward, unless contradicated for your breed.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaska94 View Post
I was just wondering, how do you train a dog to do the stance. I'm not really sure if that's what you call it, you know the way show dogs stand. I just like how it looks and thought maybe introducing it to Oreo even though he's not showing.

By the way, he knows how to sit, down and beg now! And also the basics Ah-ah and Leave it. Yey! He is now working on stay and paw - more to go!
Ahhh sorry, I never noticed this ... gosh, this was some time ago ... I hope you were successful - sincere apologies for not noticing your thread at the time x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 12-09-2014, 10:44 PM

Hello there,

I'm currently training my dog to do some tricks.

Here are some blog posts along with videos in case you are interested.

how to train a dog to sit
how to train a dog to sit - Part 2
how to train a dog to sit - Part 3

how to teach a dog to lie down - Part 1
how to teach a dog to lie down - Part 2

how to teach a dog to stay - Part 1
how to teach a dog to stay - Part 2

how to teach a dog to come - Part 1
how to teach a dog to come - Part 2

how to teach a dog to shake a paw - Part 1
how to teach a dog to shake a paw - Part 2

how to teach a dog to fetch - Part 1
how to teach a dog to fetch - Part 2

how to teach a dog to beg - Part 1

These are all part of a dog training journey that I'm going through right now. The kick off post/video is here:
how to train a dog to do tricks

Hope it's helpful.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn1 View Post
Hello there,

I'm currently training my dog to do some tricks.

Here are some blog posts along with videos in case you are interested.

how to train a dog to sit
how to train a dog to sit - Part 2
how to train a dog to sit - Part 3

how to teach a dog to lie down - Part 1
how to teach a dog to lie down - Part 2

how to teach a dog to stay - Part 1
how to teach a dog to stay - Part 2

how to teach a dog to come - Part 1
how to teach a dog to come - Part 2

how to teach a dog to shake a paw - Part 1
how to teach a dog to shake a paw - Part 2

how to teach a dog to fetch - Part 1
how to teach a dog to fetch - Part 2

how to teach a dog to beg - Part 1

These are all part of a dog training journey that I'm going through right now. The kick off post/video is here:
how to train a dog to do tricks

Hope it's helpful.
Hi Juan and welcome ... I have taken a look at the last link which shows your beautiful Nina she is a very intelligent Shih Tzu I love her I will read the rest tomorrow as here in the UK, I am about to go to sleep lol... Can I add that you please say hello in the Introduction thread and also, the information you have provided needs to go in your own personal thread I will come back to you tomorrow and show you where to start this again separately

I am presuming you are in the USA Juan ... are you Spanish or Portuguese speaking? My name is Lia by the way x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Hi Juan and welcome ... I have taken a look at the last link which shows your beautiful Nina she is a very intelligent Shih Tzu I love her I will read the rest tomorrow as here in the UK, I am about to go to sleep lol... Can I add that you please say hello in the Introduction thread and also, the information you have provided needs to go in your own personal thread I will come back to you tomorrow and show you where to start this again separately

I am presuming you are in the USA Juan ... are you Spanish or Portuguese speaking? My name is Lia by the way x
When you reply to the above, I will show you where to put this information

Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 AM

Hi bunch!

Thanks for the welcome greetings!

Just said hello in the Introduction thread as you asked for.

Actually I live in Brazil

By the way, how can I configure the site to notify me by email when a thread that I'm part of has a response?

I just saw your message because I accessed the forum again today. Otherwise wouldn't have noticed it.

I'd be glad to put the information I provided whereever is better for you.

thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Hi Juan you need to go to the top left hand corner of the main Index Page and click on 'UserCP' ... then scroll down to 'Edit Options' ... in there you need to find where it says 'Messaging and Notifications' - under this section look for where it says 'Default Thread Subscription Mode' ... then look to the right of this and you will see a box - alter this to 'Instant email Notification' .... scroll down and click 'Save' right at the bottom of the page.

You will then be notified by email when you receive replies to your threads/posts

Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 PM

great, thanks a lot Bunch!

Tags
stance, tricks