Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 07-27-2014, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Keep at it hun, & the muzzle will really help.... cant watch the vids yet as im low on credit, using the darn dongle.... xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpram View Post
Keep at it hun, & the muzzle will really help.... cant watch the vids yet as im low on credit, using the darn dongle.... xx
LoL, I'm not sure if you'd want to watch them. It's me talking to myself and getting barked at and bitten by a highly annoyed Lhasa
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Hi hun, just to say I will watch this properly later on as I'm getting ready to go to a show x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Calliope, I am no expert at grooming whatsoever but a couple of things struck me and please don't take it as a criticism. In the pre bath video you were grooming her on the floor surrounded by toys. I see you are getting a table, may I suggest that until that arrives you try her on a counter top. I just wondered if part of her reaction is that you are stopping her doing what she wants to do i.e. playing with her toys and her Kong. On a counter top there are no distractions. The other thing I noticed that when you where brushing her front legs you pulled it out to the side. This would be very uncomfortable for her. Dogs legs will come forward slightly, backwards slightly but not sideways. Lhasa don't seem to like their front legs being groomed or their lower sides and bellys. I used to use a stand and harness to groom Alfie but don't need it now, one because he is quite good, two his coat is shorter and finally he is groomed most days so rarely gets mats. If he is left more than say two days they start to form and grooming is then far more uncomfortable for him. I try to put myself in his place and imagine what it would be like if I had tangles in my long hair and my Mummy was tugging at them to get them out. After five minutes I would have had enough. As I said, please don't be offended at my comments, you must be very distressed about the whole scenario. Good luck
Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie's Mum View Post
Calliope, I am no expert at grooming whatsoever but a couple of things struck me and please don't take it as a criticism. In the pre bath video you were grooming her on the floor surrounded by toys. I see you are getting a table, may I suggest that until that arrives you try her on a counter top. I just wondered if part of her reaction is that you are stopping her doing what she wants to do i.e. playing with her toys and her Kong. On a counter top there are no distractions. The other thing I noticed that when you where brushing her front legs you pulled it out to the side. This would be very uncomfortable for her. Dogs legs will come forward slightly, backwards slightly but not sideways. Lhasa don't seem to like their front legs being groomed or their lower sides and bellys. I used to use a stand and harness to groom Alfie but don't need it now, one because he is quite good, two his coat is shorter and finally he is groomed most days so rarely gets mats. If he is left more than say two days they start to form and grooming is then far more uncomfortable for him. I try to put myself in his place and imagine what it would be like if I had tangles in my long hair and my Mummy was tugging at them to get them out. After five minutes I would have had enough. As I said, please don't be offended at my comments, you must be very distressed about the whole scenario. Good luck
Thank you SO much for your input! I didn't even realize that I was pulling her leg to the side.

The toys are definitely a distraction. Now that you said they were probably the reason she was trying to run away from the hair dryer (in the second video). She could see them across the room (I feel like a dummy now, lol).

I am not offended at all and really appreciate the time you took to look at the videos and share your feedback
Old 07-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Small success: my pup let me brush her and put a pony tail in without a fuss!

She even rolled over so I could brush her belly (NEVER happens). I guess she likes the new brush?

I didn't use any spray...she really dislikes the sprays (magic touch/detangler). I didn't want to ruin a good thing ^_^
Old 07-27-2014, 03:35 PM

Can't find the post bath video ?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I sometimes groom Archie on the floor, which isn't a problem for us. But I agree with Jen that until you get your table use a counter top.I do when I want to dry Archie after he's had a bath and it is much easier higher up.All distractions to be removed so Calliope can concentrate on learning what is to be expected of her at grooming time
Not had chance to watch the post-bath vid yet
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Awkward sometimes isn't it ... ok, first of all (and forgive me as I cannot remember), do you use a grooming table or groom her on your knee? I ask because you mention she can sometimes nip you on your thigh and breast (ouch) ... if not, I suggest you go onto Amazon USA ad find a cheap one with a bar so that you can use a security harness to stabilise her position ... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ooming%20table ... there are different priced ones on this link

If there have been any tugging with grooming tools in the past which have hurt her skin (unintentional of course), then she will remember this and probably just assume that with each groom, it will hurt so will pre-empt it.

If you are finding that following trying everything and it all fails, you could consider investing in a grooming muzzle - these are not cruel if used correctly for it's purpose only .. they are good to enable dogs to become used to being groomed and help them realise that grooming is not that bad at all .... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...for+small+dogs ... and I would still invest in a grooming table so that when she becomes accustomed to grooming, you can then remove the muzzle and continue grooming at a proper level ... much more comfy and easier

Technique will also help too .... can you explain how you are actually tackling tangles from the roots? Here is a vid for you ... this tool may help you and make it easier and quicker for mats if this is the area that is taking the longest and is the most troublesome when grooming ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hT9Sk5EY4

And this is a vid showing an aggressive dog being helped to understand grooming is not that bad .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2gqwyK9qGg

oh dear, that dog is that of a typical spoilt dog, i personally would not groom that dog but only because i wouldnt get the help like that, it would be me on my own therefore i couldnt, i tried a few times with a dog like this and in the end i had to say i could not do him, i suggested he go under n have the shave down now n then by vets, not only was he not nice to groom but he would have sent him self in to a real state due to the the stress level he had salvating on top his agression, on top of this the owner did not know how to act with him and his behaviour, telling him he was good and giving him a treat at completely the wrong time and then despite me telling him to just hold him and ignore him still he would get stressed n shout the dogs name, if u cant train the owner u cant train the dog! i now only do a couple of difficult dogs and refuse to do anymore, the dog i no longer do and the dog i do still do are both snappy with ppl when not being groomed, they are typical spoilt dogs and its down the owners to work with them before a groomer but not every one has a clue when it comes to dogs
Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 AM

it can be that a dog does not like being groomed and is scared but it can however be because the dog sees itself above people, there is leader to the dog, he/she is top dog so to them how dare u decide its time they are groomed and so they will snap and tell u the way they would a dog in the pack, if holding the face and saying no is not working i suggest a quick sshht noise as soon as she growls do not wait for her to snap as u have let it escalate, the minute u get a grumbled its click finger SSSSSHT if your dog then goes to bite put her on her bk and gently but firmly hold her down, like a leader does, none of this is mean, u are simply gaining your status and correcting her, i would keep up with this no matter how many times u do it she will have to learn eventually!!! u are in charge, not her. as soon as she is good and behaving correctly tell her shes a good girl and give her a little chicken or one of her fav treats reward her when she is correct in her behaviour also x never shout or loose temper tho, as this is you no longer in control, u need to always remain the same, calm and controlled in ur self