Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Question Holding it during the night

Hello,
I am continuing this thread from my intro thread.
Thanks for that Lai, it's just I don't want him to have anymore accidents in his crate. He has been so good and a few nights going nearly 8 hours which I know won't happen every night.
What time do you suggest going to bed and getting up then if I shouldn't get up during the night?
Xxx
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Hi Nikki, I really would not think about setting the alarm to take him out - you most certainly will make a rod for your own back if you do this and by setting the alarm to take him out, he will never learn to hold all night. This will come with time and shouldnt be long at all. When you take him out for his last pee's, usually they will do (or should do) two pee's. All mine used to do two pee's - one immediately and then after a little sniff around, did another. I know it can be difficult if its raining but I just take an umbrella, wrap up and wait - you should see me running around after four of them trying to cover them individually with the umbrella lol
Remember that the bladder is really small and this will mature along with growth - it cannot be rushed and you can only deal with this one day at a time with patience and understanding

Initially, you will have to build your routine around his needs and pups are reliably predictable when they are very young. Puppies need to urinate immediately after waking up. I would also keep to a regular 'bedtime time' to get into a routine. Puppies have very poor bladder control and need to urinate at least every hour or two. They can urinate spontaneously when they get excited so I would take him out an hour before bedtime and then again literally just before you all retire

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks Lai, will try take him out as late as possible then up about half 6.
One thing we have also not let him get used to is us being away out the way apart from when he is sleeping to get him used to being alone. The ususlly say when he can be left in his crate for half an hour during the day while ur upstairs then you can start leaving for shorter periods. Is it true about it goes on how many months old they are to how many hours they can be left. Its not as much of an issue at the moment as someone will be here for the next while but we want him to get used to and be aware there will be times he has to be left alone when working going out etc. Xx
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have always got up in the night to let pups out to pee... If they are up then so am i LOL... not saying thats the way for everyone but i find it easier to toilet train, the older they get the longer they go and eventually they will go all night xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Thanks for that. He isn't waking in the night ans crying so maybe as Lai said don't set an alarm but then im worried he gets to the point that he can't hold onto it. Its hard! X
Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

If he woke and cried can you hear him? Another thing i always do is have the pup in a crate in the bedroom, again this is not everyones choice but it means im on hand if needed... xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:26 PM

How did you get on last night? did you set your alarm? its hard knowing what to do for the best as there are no set rules and all our dogs are different, I would say go with what suits you and wee Oscar will come on fine...I was reading earlier about matts in their coats and had a panic thinking I'm probably not brushing Buddy properly/using the right brush etc and proceded to give him the brush of his life! poor wee soul lol xx
Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM

Yes he was out for his last pee at half 11 and I got up at 3 and took him out then up at 6.35. I might try not setting alarm tonight and just play it by ear. Well I have just put up a thread about brushing as I have brushes and comb and do it every day but want to make sure the ones im using are ok xx
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM

Hi Rachel yes I would hear him and he hasnt cried during the night. I don't want to start that as he won't be upstairs. Someone slept downstairs beside im for the first week but since Friday night he has slept downstairs on his own just fine x
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Different strokes etc and everyone finds their own way and what works for them and their pup in the end.

They don't stay pupoies long, enjoy this delightful time while you can...

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -