Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > Veterinary Discussions

Notices
Veterinary Discussions Discussions about your experiences with your Vet and related topics

Old 05-02-2017, 11:27 AM

Question Ear check under an anaesthetic - is it necessary?

Hi Lia and everyone, hope you and your doggies are all well.
Bailey has been having a lot of problems with his ear and eyes due to some allergies. He`s been through ear and eye infections recently that were treated with antibiotics but keep coming back.
I have taken him to the vet again today and they said his ear will have to be examined, drained and plucked under an anaesthetic asap. He was given steroids for now to help control his allergies and booked into the surgery for tomorrow morning procedure.
Just wanted to ask you if anyone has this sort of thing done before because of the infection and is it really necessary or the vets are just suggesting the most expensive treatment available (£200)?
If it is what needs to be done I will of course pay, it`s not an issue, I just don`t like the idea of sedation in general and don`t want to be taken for a fool who is willing to pay for unnecessary procedures.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Poor wee Bailey. Vet may be wanting to examine the inner ear and this will require the dog to be absolutely still. The inner ear is very sensitive and easily damaged and if the dog inadvertently moves, then that could result in a agonising serious injury.

That may be why the vet wants to do an examine and possibly painful treatment under anaesthesia. I don't think any vet worth his salt would advise anaesthesia unless absolutely necessary.

£200 sounds a reasonable in the ball park figure to me. X

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 05-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Hi Rosie, yes £200 is a reasonable price - I`ve paid over a £100 a month ago just for a appointment, course of meds for his eye infection (he also had some sort of dermatitis going on around his eyes). But shortly after he finished his course eyes started weeping again and now the ear is inflamed.
I remember that when Stella was having ear troubles about 2 years ago the vets also suggested I bring her in for sedation and check-up but I refused and insisted on antibiotics+steroid course and brought her for a check-up when the ear has healed. It`s just me - I`m always paranoid about general anaesthetics. That`s why I don`t want to go through with it unless it`s absolutely necessary. x
Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM

I hope Bailey gets through this okay. Our Minnie's ears are so sensitive and I'm more than sure that she'd have to be sedated if they needed to investigate further. Just grooming her a little while ago was hard work. Good luck xx.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella the Lapso View Post
Hi Lia and everyone, hope you and your doggies are all well.
Bailey has been having a lot of problems with his ear and eyes due to some allergies. He`s been through ear and eye infections recently that were treated with antibiotics but keep coming back.
I have taken him to the vet again today and they said his ear will have to be examined, drained and plucked under an anaesthetic asap. He was given steroids for now to help control his allergies and booked into the surgery for tomorrow morning procedure.
Just wanted to ask you if anyone has this sort of thing done before because of the infection and is it really necessary or the vets are just suggesting the most expensive treatment available (£200)?
If it is what needs to be done I will of course pay, it`s not an issue, I just don`t like the idea of sedation in general and don`t want to be taken for a fool who is willing to pay for unnecessary procedures.
Thanks
I also think it's probably because he needs to be still and if it's infected it may be painful for him and he will not be able to lie still. I hope he's soon sorted out and gets some relief xx
Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have been a nervous wreck all day and in the end chickened out, went back to the vet and asked for the meds first so when he`s better they can examine the ear without anaesthetics.
Just wanted to ask if 45ppm colloidal silver can be used as an ear wash as it has antibacterial properties as well as epi otic?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Administrator

I would'nt put anything in the ear, other than the Meds and only when her ears get the all clear.
In these situations it's best to be guided by your vet..

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 05-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Our vet suggested us for anesthesia to get the culture of Pogo's ear wax to determine the cause of the ear infection which I found to be a bit unnecessary so the doctor just gave us some meds and a drop.
I think your vet would be able to guide you in the best possible way.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Hi hun, sorry I have missed your thread but I myself have not been able to come on as I used to do over the last few months (hope to change this soon).

So sorry to hear this and I agree .... do NOT put anything down the ear canal or you could make whatever the problem is, worse. What you can do is to use a cotton wool tip, dip into the colloidal silver and 'wipe out' the inner ear and as far as the 'opening' of the canal NOT DOWN IT. Prevention is the cure. This needs to be done daily. I would also opt for a second opinion at another vet (just to see) .... you are legally allowed to register with more than one vet. I can understand about the anaesthesia if a dog will not stay still .... but I am wondering if it is necessary (hence the suggestion of another opinion).

Ear infections may come back when a dog eats another 'wrong' food (true), goes for another swim, experiences another build-up of excess wax or in some other way triggers a reoccurrence such as being known to stem from immune system imbalances caused by vaccinosis, a reaction to vaccines.

Conventional treatment can make the problem worse because our dogs are routinely given cocktail drugs which are combinations of antibiotics, antifungal drugs, cortisone, or other ingredients. Then what happens, our dogs will develop a resistance to the meds. But the thing is, if there is something underlying, like a Polyp, then yes, further investigation is needed.

Do you remember Thornit? Have you used this?

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ