Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > Veterinary Discussions

Notices
Veterinary Discussions Discussions about your experiences with your Vet and related topics

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

I would say don't give her any.... and when you get the chance ring your vet and get his opinion on the tablets, all meds have some slight risk or side effects but we need to know what they are xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Definitely speak to your vet and personally I would suggest asking for some actual sedative type drugs if you're desparate.

While I agree that all drugs can have side effects, Kava Kava has been banned from use in human products for a good reason.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
just seen this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will click your link now! is this with regular use tho??? i gave it to her fri and sat ready for sunday n im giving her some before we get on train should i not?? what else can i do to get her to be calm and happy then?? i dont have time to get anything else now??
Also bear in mind that your dog will pick up on your own emotions and reactions. If you're tense, your dog will be too. I know it's easy to say but try and be relaxed around your dog and don't react negatively to the things that make your dog seem tense.

If you watch your dog reacting to things like fireworks for example, usually the first thing they do is look at you to see if you're worried about it. If you don't react they will be reassured that there's nothing to worry about. If you you react by "comforting" the dog the way you would a small child then they WILL get tense. That "comfort" response that people have is seen differently by dogs than by human children.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

How did you get on at the weekend Tara? xx

Old 11-27-2014, 12:05 AM

hey i didnt give her any and we got on ok, i always ignore unwanted behaviour, i dont want her to be stressed etc, i had her on my knee purely as this does make her happier and stops people standing on her! but i dont soothe the shaking etc i just left her on my knee and she always shook at start for maybe half hour to hr which i know is long time she was stressed but then after that she just stopped n once she stopped i fussed her n told her how good she was n all was well for the rest of the trip! so went better than i thought which is good! i decided if those calmex cause liver damage n r banned in human use theres no way my dogs having it! i bought it from my vets tho!!!! not impressed they stock it ! they must surely know?? anyway, i think if i keep on the way i did with her the shaking will soon stop all together, i always ignore any whining becz when im on the bus with her she never settels now cz pppl have soothed her despite me commenting on they shouldnt n i dont like it n like it toi be ignored bcz she use to b good etc but ppl made her tht way by talking to her, i notice on bus she will wine n try it on etc n if some one looks at her n keeps looking thts it game over she plays up n it really pi**es off i make point of saying to her no dont start that dont put it on n i make point of turning her round so shes not looking at them looking! i know how to be with her etc its just the general public are clueless and it really grates! time to get driving i think!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:07 AM

thank you for the link on calmex i wouldnt of found out till much later! i should have googled first! i normally do but because bought from my vets i just assumed it would be ok
Old 11-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Glad she was ok... i know what you mean about making a fuss if they are upset, just makes them worse. I must remember to ask my vet about the calmex because they sell them too so i would be interested in what they have to say!! xx

Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Good god Laurence - we learn something each day so thanks for that. Tara, glad all is ok with Layla. I think its always safer to err on the side of caution and unless we absolutely know for certain a product is 100% safe, don't touch/use it/them unless a vet can clarify it's safety x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ