Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 03-12-2015, 12:39 AM

Question Crate training..size

Hi all
We are starting to put together our list of things we need for our puppy and were looking at crates. What size would be best. Seen a 24" crate would this be the right size or should I get the next size up x
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

I would get the biggest I could . I have also made sure mine is totally covered so it becomes a "den." Tink settled in it from the off and now takes herself off to bed when she wants . We don't bother closing the door now ( we did when she was little so she couldn't hurt herself when we weren't around) but now she has free run and goes in there when she wants. Some folk don't like crates but used correctly they are fine. xxxx

P.s. I've measured mine it's 30"x 22" approx xxxx

Last edited by Tigerlillytopknot; 03-12-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:24 PM

Thank you. That will prob be best size then. I wasn't quite sure what would be best xx
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM

Talking

Just measured Mazie's - it's also 30" x 22".
When I first got it, I thought i'd made a mistake as I thought the cage looked huge - but i'm glad I did now as the next size down would have been too small for her now.
Mazie's cage is in the kitchen and is also covered, she loves it - it's her little den.
I used to close the door when she was a pup to stop her from wandering through the house when I was out, but I no longer need to do this.
I think crate training is a good thing, when we need to travel long distances then we put the cage in the car, she feels safe in it, it's also been advantageous whilst at the Vets, as when she's been in for various tests and been placed in a cage to recover from the sedation, because she's crate-trained it doesn't bother her and therefore doesn't cause her stress.
I look forward to seeing photos of your new pup.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Crate training is a brilliant idea .....Something I didn't do with Archie xx
Old 03-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hi Cat, go for the biggest cage ... pups' grow fast so room is needed to stretch out. Used correctly, they are a good thing to have. Definitely cover it to begin with so it gives the feeling of a safe haven. Soft furnishings inside, hot water bottle safely wrapped to emulate Mum's body heat and a ticking clock to resemble mum's heartbeat. This said, if pup is 10 to 12 weeks, none of the latter will be needed ...... these are comfort aids for pups at 8 weeks old as at this age, they will need all the comfort they can be given for their transition, settlement and safe-feeling. At this age, (or less ) they will miss 'mum and siblings' immensely.

Good luck x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 PM

We bought a crate that his a moveable wall that allows you to adjust with your dogs growth. Our pup is only 11 wks and we keep him pretty enclosed for security and for less "accidents".
Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Thanks guys xx