Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM

Unhappy House Training - Starting to get worried

Hi

Mr Darcy is now six and a half months old and we seem to be going backwards with his toilet training. He knows to ask to got out and does this several times a day. However he sometimes goes out and does a wee and then comes in a does another one straight away in the kitchen. He is also pooing in the kitchen too and weeing in the living room. Well over a month ago we had got down to just the odd accident inside now and again but now he's weeing inside several times a day and it seems to be getting worse. I'm wondering if he could be scent marking although he still doesn't cock his leg. He's due to be spayed a week tomorrow. I'm just starting to get worried as we seem to be going the wrong way with the toileting - he also seems to understand that he should go outside as he asks to go - can anyone give me some advice on this please.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

You need to remember at 6 months, although he knows to go out he won't yet have full control of his bladder & bowels. I would go back to the very basics and take him out after eating, sleeping, and playing and probably every hour. You need to make sure he's in the right place at the right time. Really go overboard with the praise when he does go outside. Patience, perseverance and consistency are vital to help him learn. It will all eventually drop into place. xx
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Totally agree with everything Elaine has replied with .... can I ask how often you take him out in the day Debbie? In other words, are you out for a certain amount of the day each day because if you are, then consistency with outside toilet training will result in a 'mind block' to him I'm afraid. I only ask because pups need a continual ritual and at this age they are still relatively 'babies'. Any 'break' in this continuity can affect their understanding of toilet training. Their bladders are still small at this age and cannot hold their bladder control - the bladder will mature with time and its no different to training a toddler to potty train and the understanding that goes with this. Gosh, I remember child toilet training lol ... a lot of 'misses'

Even if he has been really good and now 'not so good' means that there is a mishap 'somewhere'. So its a process of elimination as to why he is reverting back to toileting in the house when he had been so clean for so long.

Also, some learn quicker than others so this has to be taken into consideration some sail through it and some don't and do have accidents further along the line.

When he goes out to toilet, are you going with him? You need to go with him and stay with him until he does two pees and one poop. Usually they do more than one pee

Food - which food are you feeding, how often are you feeding and what time is his last meal? I ask because you mention that he has pooped inside.

Another question (sorry) ... have you had visitors who have dogs? Either bringing their dogs with them or just simply having the 'aroma of a dog on them' ... this can set off a 'marking situation' ...

The be all and end all is that more training is the key - be more vigilant with this and Im sure he will turn the corner - they all do with patience, understanding, consistency and love

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 PM

There' s someone with him almost round the clock and he is taken outside during the night too to try and reinforce the training. He always goes in the same spot even though we have used the enzymatic cleaners to try and break down the odour. We do always go with him when we take him out. We have a 13 year old yorkshire Terrier bitch that has been neutered - so not sure whether that may cause problems, but not other dogs have been to the house. He has also wee'd on his bed in the kitchen now several times (its vetbed so easily washed) so we have now removed this. He is always lavishly praised when he wees and a treat is given when he comes back in - I think sometimes he actually asks to go out just so he can get the treat, lol. He eats James Well Beloved dry food and is being fed twice daily but also gets training treats/cheese in between for training and toileting. I think that we are just going to have to go back to basics.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely back to basics. I have always found biological washing powder good for totally dispersing any odours . A man I know who is a dog trainer always tells new owners in his puppy class he swears by biological washing powder instead of specially made odour removers that you buy in the pet shops.
You sound very sensible and probably don't, but try not to get stressed when there are accidents or he will pick up on this and that won't help him either
Old 12-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Just be sure that he doesn't have a bladder infection which can escalate the toileting as in pee's and, can also make them 'hold toilets' too. Young pups can contract this too unfortunately always best to err on the side of caution hun. If he is fine from this then I think its back to basics but be assured that he will 'click'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Definitely back to basics and stand with him until he performs. And the minute you see him circling where he should'nt, lift him up, saying No and take him outside...

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Lol oh yes, the very noticeable 'circling' is definitely a sure sign

Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM

Default house training

I have a 6 month old Lhasa and she wont wee outside, she uses the utility room even if the door is open, she can be outside and she comes in for a wee then she barks to tell me, she goes out for a poo, she was doing really well I can be out with her over an hour and she wont go then we come in and she has a wee and she looks up at me to say what a relief, any suggestions please.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Hi welcome.Take her outside with a lead on and wait, as you are doing. If she doesn't pee bring her back in leaving her lead on. After a few seconds take her back outside and try again.She needs to be shown/reminded where she should go for a pee and it's a case of getting her outside at the correct time. When she does pee really go overboard with the praise.
Consistency and patience calmness ( while waiting) are the key words here xx
Would you like to introduce yourself in the introduction board please. Then other members can welcome you too