Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Training > Training The Lhasa Apso

Notices
Training The Lhasa Apso Apsos are easier to train than you think. Share your experiences and advice

Old 02-20-2016, 09:52 PM

Question Breaking a habit

My good wife and Lexi have bonded so much so that when confined during the cold spell Norah,my wife, let Lexi hop up in the bed beside her. I was less than enthusiastic. Now Lexi appears in the wee hours expecting to be allowed up and N has given in. Will it be hard to break this habit now or is just shutting the bedroom door enough to keep her to her own bed at the kitchen workroom. Will she just go down do you think ???? Or will I have trouble breaking the habit now A month in ?????
Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

You will be able to break the habit by just closing the door. It will take a while and you may have to put up with alot of barking, whining, crying etc.Could you maybe put her bed in your room and eventually get her to sleep in your room, but on her own bed? xx
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Totally agree with Elaine .... the thing is, she has been allowed to do this and she will not understand why all of a sudden she is not allowed - this will be very confusing for her and could set her back again, ruining all the good work (and hard work) that has been involved to get where you are today. This said, give it a try and see if she will accept (finally) that you are the Alphas and your commands must be followed.

Forgive me Eugene but what I don't understand is why allow her on the bed in the first place and now you would rather her not? If this is Nora's 'doing' and it has created harmony, do you not think that it is best to leave it like this and have one very happy pooch? If you bath her weekly and use a wet rag to clean her paws, she will not soil your bedding with debris.

Food for thought my friend xxx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ