Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Groomers Corner > Everyday Grooming

Notices
Everyday Grooming For everyday questions/advice on general grooming

Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Thumbs down Summer cut

Took Mazie to a local groomer yesterday for a 'summer cut'.

We normally take her to see Ryan at Dog One in Liverpool but it's not practical to do this all the time so this local groomer had been recommended to me by someone.

She was really lovely and had no objection to me staying with Mazie, I explained to her that Mazie hasn't been too well of late and she can get a bit nervy.

I asked her to go very short she was quite reluctant as she said that Mazie looked gorgeous with her flowing coat but I explained that since her spay her coat has changed and it becomes really knotty - so out came her clippers!!!!!
:

Without being nasty this groomer was certainly no Ryan - she overestimated the time it would take and her scissoring wasn't great.

She's taken the head too short, she didn't take into account that Mazie has quite a long neck & body and quite a small head - all of these things are disguised under a long coat, these are the things that Ryan as an experienced and fabulous groomer compensates for in his cutting of her.

Anyway after we got home I had to tidy her up - a lot!! trying to soften scissor marks with thinning scissors etc - I won't be going back but Mazie loves it, she's prancing around like a little lamb - bless her.

So in all, she was a lovely girl but just wasn't as skilled as Ryan, I feel that Mazie looks unbalanced, short head & long tail, gonna shorten the tail a little bit later on. but it'll soon grow.

Will post piccis later - she was too tired last night.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I have Toots done very short in summer. Her hair grows very fast and is longish at the moment. She only had a naked cut, 3 mths ago and looks like an over grown hedge now..

Mazie's hair will soon grow back and you can take her back to Ryan..

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

I hate when the groomer makes a mess, i have been to quite a few over the years, some good and some bad, i remember one left clipper marks all over my dolly & Chloe, even i can do better than that!! Mazie may look not quite right but it will soon grow out some and look better xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Been there, done that Nia and absolutely hated it. Mazie's fur will grow back but you should never have to tidy your dog up when you've paid for the service of someone else doing it.

This is why I started grooming our girls myself. Thankfully now the lady I take them too is brilliant. I need to take a picture of Minnie as she went yesterday and she looks beautiful. Hopefully, you'll find another one nearer to you who does a better job, but from the sound of it, Mazie couldn't give a stuff lol xx
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

It's so annoying when you pay good money and don't get what you ask for, I know her coat will grow, but it's the principle. I've had a groomer send Archie home looking scalped, he didn't even have enough left for a short back and sides!....and I'd asked for him to be a couple of inches all over!! That is why I started grooming him myself, I may not get him perfect, but at least I'm happy with the length.
Archie says Mazie will still be a gorgeous girl xxxxxxxxxx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mazies coat will soon grow but it is disheartening when you've paid good money out but not received the service you expected xxxx
Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Just seen your thread Nia. Oh dear! There is nothing worse than your expectations going down the swanny ... especially after so called good recommendations. The thing is, there are 'groomers' ........ and there are 'groomers' .... some 'think' they are good when in fact they are totally rubbish and do not have a clue ......... then you get the groomer like Ryan who KNOWS he is good and IS good .. and some people who have no experience of apso 'cuts' think 'their' pooch has the best cut in the world and therefore recommends a groomer

There are also groomers (and usually the ones who 'think' they are good) who do NOT clean their tools and can pass on fleas through their clippers (yep it can happen) because for the sake of money, they accept dogs who have fleas

The good thing is that her coat will grow back and then Ryan can work his magic ......... time flies, it will soon be back to how it should be xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 05-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Just seen your thread Nia. Oh dear! There is nothing worse than your expectations going down the swanny ... especially after so called good recommendations. The thing is, there are 'groomers' ........ and there are 'groomers' .... some 'think' they are good when in fact they are totally rubbish and do not have a clue ......... then you get the groomer like Ryan who KNOWS he is good and IS good .. and some people who have no experience of apso 'cuts' think 'their' pooch has the best cut in the world and therefore recommends a groomer

There are also groomers (and usually the ones who 'think' they are good) who do NOT clean their tools and can pass on fleas through their clippers (yep it can happen) because for the sake of money, they accept dogs who have fleas

The good thing is that her coat will grow back and then Ryan can work his magic ......... time flies, it will soon be back to how it should be xx
I've also heard of eye infections through dirty grooming tools. The one where we used to take our three didn't clean them, at the time I didn't know this but once you learn it, you stay away from them. Of course the fact that you don't need to be fully qualified to own a grooming salon is wrong too. Our groomer Julia, has her City & Guilds and has worked hard for it. The first one just about managed to do a six week course. It's disgusting!!