Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > The Lhasa Diet > Food In General

Notices
Food In General This section covers food in general as an overall and not specifically dried, wet or Raw - there are other sections relating to these

Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Question What do we believe?

I was watching some old recorded Victoria Stilwell the other day when I was having some lunch with Paul (break time at home) .... and she was talking about food. She said to one couple "how would you like to eat the same thing each day? Your dog will be bored with eating the same old food day in and day out too" ..

I have actually said the self same thing in the past on here ........ but the manufacturers, some vets etc say all they need is the food they are given as in their dried food... or their wet food .... or their raw diet ....... which is right? Victoria mixed together dried food (not mixer biscuit) with a tin of 'something' ... but ...... what about the protein levels and fat levels we've all talked about in the past? Which is now right and which is now wrong? It's a minefield once again.

As you know, Honey has to have a prescribed food due to her Pancreatitis in August 2014 .... but, I'm now beginning to wonder if she could actually now have something else for a change. I'm very cautious as I would never want her to go through the hell she went through and being on a drip for a week at death's door

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 11-03-2017, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

I think yes a dog will eat the same thing day in day out......but that doesn't meant they wouldn't prefer a change. I like to get different flavours of Natures Menu for Archie. The nearest stockist for a variety must be about 18 miles away, while it's not far, I don't always get chance to go. Then I go to P@H and buy him f/f chicken mince and I know he loves it, but I still like to get him more choice as soon as I can.
Regards Honeys food, I think now I would start looking for some different food for her but obviously still watching the fat content. Archie is not supposed to have any red meat, due to his bladder stones........but I let him have some occasionally
When my last 2 had kibble I used to add the odd bit of, what ever I had, which probably upset the various vitamin, mineral, protein content.......but they didn't come to any harm. I think sometimes too much is made of what you should & shouldn't add or give together so you buy their products and don't make your own!!! xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items

Last edited by elaine archie; 11-03-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Thanks Elaine .... Ive been wondering if I should start the F/Flow again .... I think I might go get a small amount and try them all BEFORE I get the lounge carpet fitted so that if they have a bowel change () the carpet will be safe lol

I also think that if a dog never tasted ... say a bit of bacon or cheese or fresh cooked meat etc ... they would never know would they ???

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'd try Lia. You might find Honey really enjoys it.......and the others. I had to laugh about your carpet, I'm lucky with Archie absolutely NOTHING upsets Archies' digestive system!!! xx

Old 11-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

My girls have always had a different food be it wet or dry, my parents fed the same food to their pekes all their lives so yes its doable but oh so boring for them, i think changing foods is good for them and stops their tummys getting upset... least it works for us xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:25 AM
Administrator

I dropped a crisp on the floor the other day - plain one - and Lexi got it. Not too long later she has the squits

Old 11-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Aww poor Lexi .That is one item Archie refuses to eat.......crisps of any flavour xx

Old 11-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I agree with Elaine. However I have started to make various toppers in my electric pressure cooker, ( locks in the nutrients )to ring the changes, usually ground turkey and suitable veggies. Both Toots and the piglet lick their bowls clean.

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsiepops View Post
I agree with Elaine. However I have started to make various toppers in my electric pressure cooker, ( locks in the nutrients )to ring the changes, usually ground turkey and suitable veggies. Both Toots and the piglet lick their bowls clean.
Healthy & tasty. I'm not surprised they lick their bowls clean xx

Old 11-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Sounds great Rosie but I don't have a pressure cooker