Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Nose Facts

Notices
Nose Facts Discussions relating to the Nose whether it be general or anything untoward

Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Thumbs up Sharp sense of smell - phew!!

Yesterday morning I got yet another visit from my cooker repair man (I say yet another visit as he's useless and has to repeatedly come back to re-do previous so-called repairs that he's carried out).

Mazie is a very sweet dog, she gets along with everyone although I must admit that since she's been unwell for the past year or so she does seem to be a lot more suspicious and wary and probably a little bit more nervous, however she absolutely FEARS this man!! I have no idea why, as soon as she hears his voice she scarpers from the front door into other rooms - where she will pee.

Anyway, yesterday I completely forgot that he was coming (I had planned on putting Mazie in another room in
order to avoid her getting so stressed on future visits), anyway best laid plans and all that, he came yesterday and yes.... she peed.

He carried out another one of his so-called repairs and left. (I'm stuck with this gas engineer by the way as i'm insured with Homeserve and he's the only engineer in the area).
I was feeling particularly fatigued and had a horrible headache yesterday and after he went I decided that I would have a little lie down on the settee in the kitchen diner, I must have nodded off and the next thing I know is that Mazie is desperately trying to get my attention, and I'll be honest I felt so tired that I was slightly annoyed with her that she wanted attention when I was feeling so rotten, anyway she persisted and I followed her into the kitchen where she was stretching, grunting and pawing right in front of the cooker, she was obviously trying to alert me to something, next....... the penny dropped - I could smell gas!!

I don't have a particularly great sense of smell so I was unsure as to how strong this smell was, so I knew that hubs would be back from London within about half an hour and decided to wait for a second opinion.

He opened the front door and said "oh my god I can smell gas"!!
He rang the engineer and he rushed back and was here within about 15-20mins and as soon as he came into the hall he confirmed that he too could smell it.

Whilst waiting for hubs to come home I'd opened the windows downstairs and taken Mazie upstairs with me.

The engineer found where the leak was, it was a tiny, tiny rubber new seal that he'd replaced after putting in a new thermostat, it was obviously not sealing!!

Anyway, we're all o.k. and no harm was done - but as for Mazie what a trooper, i'll never, ever get annoyed with her again when she wants my attention no matter how grotty i'm feeling.

Maybe, just maybe it could have been a different story had I have taken a sleeping tablet and gone to sleep for hours and if hubs wasn't due back when he was, who knows but I won't dwell on that.

Well done little Mazie...... your super sense of smell served us well.

Last edited by Twinkle; 11-18-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

What a smart little girl Mazie is and thank god you are ok!!!! Like you say who knows what could have happened IF..... Extra treats for Mazie i think!! xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mazie you're a hero this could have had a very different outcome . Well done clever girl . I'm agreeing with Rachel .....extra extra treats for Mazie xxxx
Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 PM

I would kick up hell with Homeserve Twinkle, this so called engineer is just a waste of space,he sounds a bit of a cowboy, gas is not a thing to be messed around with but well done to Maizie xx
Old 11-18-2015, 06:29 PM

So glad you are ok. That gas is dangerous stuff!! Clever Mazie.

As for the engineer, report him pronto! I would sack him, had a similar thing happen with one of my engineers and that's what I did!!!

X
Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM

What a story! Well done Mazie, you are aMAZIng
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Well done Mazie a little heroine...

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Administrator

OMG get him reported immediately Nia! He should be sacked - very incompetent indeed and very dangerous! What if you had been upstairs as you say and just say your hubby walked in and clicked the light switch .... not sure if this really happens with a little gas or a lot but nevertheless ......... BAD BAD BAD !!!

Good old Mazie, brilliant she knew something was wrong! She deserves a gold medal for her quick thinking actions because although dogs do know, not all dogs do actually react so well done Mazie

And another thing Nia .... Mazie is 'wetting' because she does NOT like this engineer! There is obviously something about him, some aura he has that she dislikes intensely and for her to wet, she is nervous of his presence. You have every reason to complain about him and to refuse him entering your home again after this HUGE blunder and a dangerous blunder at that!

Most of all, I am so happy that you and Mazie are well and no harm done.

~ A VERY WELL DONE MAZIE ~

XXXXXXXXX

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well done Mazie, what a clever girl you are
I agree report him...the outcome could have been so different.
AmandaI like your way of dealing with incompetent workers xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items