Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Lhasa Apso Discussions > Lhasa Apso Puppies

Notices
Lhasa Apso Puppies Share with us your new arrival or the arrival of a litter

Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM

Default extreme hair shedding, mind or raw food?

Hi,
I have a close to 3 yrs (in December) Lhasa Apso. male, his name is Anakin. He is raw fed and he is shedding like crazy and he is not drinking enough water even when I was feeding other food options.
Now I did tons of researches from hot and cold proteins to single proteins only like Duck to Darwin's pet food what has added veggies and is sterilized (what takes the best stuff out of the equation), Stella and Chewy freeze dried ..... really tired with trying, raw is the best. He also can't eat proteins with excessive fat because he starts vomiting bile and I need to avoid he gets pancreatitis.
Now I also tried different shampoos because he gets itchy as well. I am stuck to horse shampoo based on all essential oils and no chimicals to at the moment Head and Shoulder medical shampoo what stopped the itchyness asap AND GIVES A STUNNING COAT. Shampoo issue resolved.

I am now down to checking his personality features and figured out he produces excessive amounts of cortisol, a stress maker, that is what is part of Anakins issues. He is very sensible and easily stressed out, it might be his body or his mind. I would have never imagined.I have been focusing a little more on him and have seen him several times shaking while my son was in a little louder conversation with his girlfriend. WOW. This kinda shocked me and I tried to let them know to keep it a little bit more under control, and to keep the TV turned off while I am at work. Not sure if it is helping.
Also a hair analysis brought out excessive levels of selenium, strontium and boron and since I am organic and don't use chimicals at home I have no idea where he gets those high levels. Could be the drinking water Zephrillys?
I have been at the Vet and spend $300 for tests and analysis and the only thing they found was an urinary infection and dehydration because he does not drink enough water.
It might be the principal issue here what makes the hair shedding and itchiness understandable.
Before I started the raw feeding I was feeding Darwin's only Duck and beef he started to get a black belly skin in the rear part, it is related to low iron levels what reduces the oxygen supply in tissues. I had this issue before and I added green minerals from Dr Peter Dobias or Spirulina or Chlorella to his raw food and got rid of the black belly.

Anyone similar issues with their Lhasa?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160914_072424.jpg (60.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by janaiy; 10-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, firstly Anakins is gorgeous I have not had any of these problems. I'm wondering if a lot would be resolved if you could get Anakins to take more water? Over here we can get a freeflow raw mince chicken by Natures Menu, which you can add a variety of fruit & veg to. This food has a moisture content of 65% so may go along way towards more fluids.I have fed my 10 year old Apso on Natures Menu for several years. Here is a link for you to look at, then maybe you could find something closer to home. Where are you from?
Could you introduce yourself in the introductions board please, then other members can welcome you and introduce themselves to you?

https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/chicken-mince

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 AM

hi Elaine, thank you for your compliment regarding Anakin. I am happy you did not have any of those issues with your Lhasa. And I got him from a breeder and I did my homework before, but did not help. However, thanks for your tip, I will definitely check it out. I live in Miami Florida. I will certainly try to find the introduction board, sorry but for me forums are a labyrinth and every forum is set up differently.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Smile

Hi
Anakin is gorgeous and welcome to the forum.

I have a 5yr old Apso called Mazie and she certainly keeps me on my toes.

She has experienced a little bit of shedding intermittently throuought her life but this is due to the fact that she has IBD, so when she has a really bad flare-up I do notice that it affects her coat somewhat, sheís never had that profuse hard Apso coat, itís been more of a Maltese type coat, it looks better over Winter though when her Winter coat comes through.

Iím sorry that I canít offer you any advice, hopefully someone else on the Forum can help.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hi there and little Anakin is a sweetie .... Im Lia by the way ..... I think you have wasted your hard earned cash on the vets. Personally, I think they are clutching at straws and you are paying for whatever suggestion/outcome they can muster together .... please do not be offended but I really do think its down to breeding. A well bred Apso will not shed coat in the way you have described. When they are groomed, a little will dislodge some times but this can be picked up easily .... not shedding and left all over the furnishings and floor.

Bitches can also shed much more when they are in season but even still, an apso coat should not 'become loose' like a short haired breed like the Germans Shepherd or Labrador for example. Likewise, a coat can change seasonally but an apso coat is different to that of the breeds I have mentioned. Then again, has the vet checked for such as Cushings Disease or any other diseases like this? I ask because no matter what breed a dog is, such as Cushings can cause hair loss anyway. Unusual hair loss is a definite sign of something underlying. Also consider hormonal imbalances, allergies and other deficiencies. If your vet has not checked for any of what I have mentioned, seek out another vet and another opinion.

Raw feeding really is the best way if you can continue with it. How are you feeding raw? I ask because there is a difference in raw and Barf (they are both uncooked but one is more advanced than the other). I would invest in some oil .... both to ingest and to put on her coat. Pure Almond Oil is fantastic for the coat but you must put it on all through to the roots and leave for two to three days before washing off. As for ingestion, Yumega is a good one especially the show coat yumega ..... you can get it from the following link ...... https://www.christiesdirect.com/en/L...SAAEgLYO_D_BwE ..........

who ship to (and who will distribute I presume) ...

1100 N Florida Mango Rd Suite J
West Palm Beach, FL 33409
United States
www.dogfashions.us
Phone: 917.775.9090
Email: hello@dogfashion.us

In addition, feed her some tinned fish in oil (not flavoured) ... drain the oil and save ... there is enough oil in the fish alone. To use the excess oil, cook some pasta (wholemeal is better) then coat the pasta in excess oil ... this can be for another meal. And, give her probiotic live plain yogurt twice a week ... it's a good flora and fantastic for the gut. All beneficial.

As for water, she may be happy with little sips regular rather than gulping a lot at one time. As long as she is not dehydrated, you have nothing to worry about. You may be able to detect dehydration by gently lifting the skin on the back of your her neck or between her shoulder blades-unless, it should immediately return to a normal position. If she is lacking in fluids, the lifted skin may not quickly return to normal.

I hope this has helped xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Add on: Forgot to say that Oatmeal shampoo is excellent for their skins xx

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM

Just a thought - has Anakinís thyroid function been checked at all?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry i cant add anything to what has already been said, Anakin is beautiful though and i hope you resolve these issues

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Administrator

How's it going Anita?