Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Travelling With Your Pets > Pet Passport

Notices
Pet Passport Who to contact and What is Involved

Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Arrow Pet Passports - extra costs to consider

Thought I'd let you guys know a little about our pet passport experience this summer when going to France. Thankfully we'd already done Dora's years ago so didn't have to buy a new one, but we still had to pay for her rabies jab plus passports for both Leo and Kitty and rabies jabs for them too. I can't remember the cost, thankfully my brain has erased it haha. But hey we knew about it (or at least had a rough idea of how much it would cost) so it wasn't a surprise.
Going through customs before getting on the ferry was very different from what I'd imagined by the way. I thought there would be a specific room where pets were taken to be examined but actually we didn't have to set foot out of the car. Actually the guy handed me that weird beeping thing you use to scan the dogs' microchips and I had a grand time contorting from the front seat to try and scan all the doggies' chips at the back in their crates... It was pretty hilarious. I definitely felt bad for the poor people queuing behind us...
What I hadn't really thought about was that obviously you need a vet appointment to administer the worming before heading back to the UK. Well I knew this, but I thought come on it can't be that much, it's just some Drontal and putting a stamp on the passport. But for three dogs, it was over 40 euros per dog which adds up (and my vet is half the price of most vets in Paris...). Because it's our family vet and he looked after (and put to sleep, sadly) my childhood cat he did make us only pay for 2 dogs instead of 3, but still, it's a cost to bear in mind, and it's worth doing your research on local vets before you actually go.
All in all, it was worth it to have our doggies experience Paris and the French countryside, but it's definitely not the type of thing I would do for a quick trip. I personally wouldn't do it for a stay under 2 weeks... But we'll definitely be going back next summer, and now we know the drill it will only be easier! (not to mention being able to reuse the passports...)
Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good experience hun..... glad you had a great time!! xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Hi Elodie and it's great to hear from you ... where have you been lol hope you and yours' are all well including your wonderful pooch's ... thanks for your feedback on pet passports - take a look at the following link I put up about people and their pet passports lol .... http://www.lhasa-apso-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13570

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the link, it's really quite shocking when you think about it.
I have to say my vet was quite stringent about his check of the dogs before writing his little report on their health to show at customs in order to get back in the UK. But I don't know that all vets are, and surely a lot of them just want the fee and don't really care. Or one could produce a fake certificate I bet...