Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Coat Colours

Notices
Coat Colours Discussions on the varying colours

Old 03-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Question Sookie's Colouring

Our Sookie's colouring is amazing. She's still got her black mask and tips but she has a grey overlay on top that is darker and larger from her neck, then it tapers down her back. It's beautiful, different and very striking.

Now, it doesn't matter if she doesn't keep them because I love her either way but given that she's now 2 and a half years old, do you think she'll keep the tips, mask and overlay?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Piccies please
Old 03-28-2015, 08:58 PM

Here you go Nick. I haven't got one of her overlay but I'll try to get one that shows it up better. Still don't know how to find the flash on the phone lol. The ones here do show her black tips and mask
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOGGY4.jpg (5.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DOGGY2.jpg (6.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DOGGY3.jpg (8.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

I love Sookies colouring I would imagine at 2 1/2 most changes would have happened by now. Although the colours can change throughout the lifetime of an Apso. Sorry I've not been a lot of help but I don't think anything is 100% guaranteed with coats xx

www.photobucket.com/archies-photos
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

i agree with elaine , sookie is lovely , if i were to offer anything it would be that charlie at nearly 4 has actually got lighter in colour in the past year . not sure if that helps though lol x
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I think they will stay xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Love the pics Connie. They are all different but for now I would say that her dark tips will stay around her face and ears. As she progresses in age (a lot older) her coat colour could change again, or it could stay and her 'tips' may disappear - or may not. For example, Kai is a solid black but by the time he reaches, say 10, he could go totally silver grey or, he could still be a good black with lots of grey going through (old age grey) lol .... Bruce will be 9 back end of this year and he is showing signs of grey here and there and whereby his coat colours were a striking obvious multi-colour, it looks more blended now if this makes sense

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine archie View Post
I love Sookies colouring I would imagine at 2 1/2 most changes would have happened by now. Although the colours can change throughout the lifetime of an Apso. Sorry I've not been a lot of help but I don't think anything is 100% guaranteed with coats xx
Thank you Elaine x. Her coat does seem to be steadfast in the colours but I did wonder if it may still change a little. You can't predict how much will change in the colour, no matter what colour they were from being born x

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
i agree with elaine , sookie is lovely , if i were to offer anything it would be that charlie at nearly 4 has actually got lighter in colour in the past year . not sure if that helps though lol x
Thanks Nick x. It does help actually as given Charlie's age, it just shows that changes don't stop at younger ages such as Sookie. Sometimes you don't realise it until you look back at pictures..bit of an eye opener when I do that x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpram View Post
I think they will stay xx
Hope so Rachel, although if she lightens up, it makes no difference as she's cute any colour. I just love her beard though, makes her look like the Hell's Angel that she is lol x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Love the pics Connie. They are all different but for now I would say that her dark tips will stay around her face and ears. As she progresses in age (a lot older) her coat colour could change again, or it could stay and her 'tips' may disappear - or may not. For example, Kai is a solid black but by the time he reaches, say 10, he could go totally silver grey or, he could still be a good black with lots of grey going through (old age grey) lol .... Bruce will be 9 back end of this year and he is showing signs of grey here and there and whereby his coat colours were a striking obvious multi-colour, it looks more blended now if this makes sense
Thanks Lia x. Funny, but Googling on colour changes in a Lhasa's coat is how I found this forum but I got into other subjects after joining and left the colour change till recently. As you can see, I keep all 3 with long ear furnishings, (can't bear to have them cut off), so it obviously keeps her tips black. They are trimmed occasionally though if they look straggly. I can't believe that Kai could end up silver grey, that is a surprise. And yes that makes a lot of sense to me. I remember you saying a few times that you're lucky if a dog keeps their tips. When I look at the roots of her black hair, it's black and silver so not sure if that will work it's way down or not as I swear that sometimes their hair goes from light to dark too as it grows x