Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Coat Type

Notices
Coat Type Discussions relating to the varying type

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I think its like any breed Hisoka, its just a case of learning how to groom a specific type of coat I used to think they were the same - even in the ring down to the way the coat falls, movement and construction but its not - they are very different in these aspects but to an untrained eye, they look no different apart from the face and the top knot - I was 'blind' to this too until I got to know the differences and even still, I dont know it all x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator

I got Poppy on the table this afternoon and went over her coat from head to tail. I combed her layer by layer. I sprayed each layer with the cr spray, there were only a few areas of undercoat that I had missed. She looks great and smells better than me.
It's my intention to grow her hair long, now the adult coat is coming in.

Combing layer by layer definitely made a big difference. I will do this everyday until she stops shedding. Will still brush her everyday though.

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM

What a good girl to let you do all that and what a good Mummy you are! I would say Tashi's least favourite thing is still grooming but I do try to do at least some everyday. He is getting better at being on his back on my lap but not on any solid surface and I just pray that eventually he'll realise that however he plays up, it is going to happen! But it set me wondering what they make of baths etc and being groomed - in their little heads do they just see it as a tiresome thing we humans like to do to them, or do they have an inkling that it's for their own good. And do we know if Tibetan monks used to spend a lot of time looking after/grooming them or did they just let nature take its course?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka View Post
What a good girl to let you do all that and what a good Mummy you are! I would say Tashi's least favourite thing is still grooming but I do try to do at least some everyday. He is getting better at being on his back on my lap but not on any solid surface and I just pray that eventually he'll realise that however he plays up, it is going to happen! But it set me wondering what they make of baths etc and being groomed - in their little heads do they just see it as a tiresome thing we humans like to do to them, or do they have an inkling that it's for their own good. And do we know if Tibetan monks used to spend a lot of time looking after/grooming them or did they just let nature take its course?
Good point about the monks Hisoka

I cant answer really about Tashi hun and hopefully he will become accustomed to it but what I can say is that when Im bathing, Bruce cant wait to get in - he loves it and has his paws over the side watching me bathing the others one by one - he knows because I'll say 'Bruce - bath time' and he comes running after me to the bathroom - the others I pick up but I dont have to do with Bruce at all

As for the monks, I dont know about the ones in the monasteries but I think in general, they were left to their own devices and were not groomed as we groom ours going by the following picture ...........

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
As for the monks, I dont know about the ones in the monasteries but I think in general, they were left to their own devices and were not groomed as we groom ours going by the following picture ...........

That picture broke my heart though you could still see what a beautiful animal he was in his face.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka View Post
That picture broke my heart though you could still see what a beautiful animal he was in his face.
Yes I agree - I put this in another new thread about tackling the coats plus a picture of a TT too - I think they are just used to being this way Hisoka but can you imagine what is inside these matts? I dread to think

Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Yes I agree - I put this in another new thread about tackling the coats plus a picture of a TT too - I think they are just used to being this way Hisoka but can you imagine what is inside these matts? I dread to think
Thanks Lia - I found the other thread.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM

bottom row. second in from left. wooden handle wire pin brush, were did u purchase it please?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbigbears View Post
bottom row. second in from left. wooden handle wire pin brush, were did u purchase it please?

It's a Chris Christensen brush and I got it from either Hub International or Petcetera (cant remember now because its been so long) BUT ......... I dont use it anymore because I now use the fabulous MADAN brushes (in black - colours donate the breed to be used on) and its on Hub International site

A couple of members have unfortunately encountered a 'bad batch which were faulty' but this is not the norm - all mine (aswell as other members) have the Madan brushes and they are still intact solidly .......... I wouldnt be without these brushes, they are excellent and by far are superior for grooming than the Chris Christensen in my opinion (which are much more expensive) .......... Ive also had the Mason Pearson (very expensive) but I would still go with the MADAN

PS: Has to be the 27mm pins xxxx

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 AM

thanks lia. i seen a video the other day of a lhasa in full coat being brushed by one of these. i will have a look for the one you are on about instead. thanks. xx