Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Coat Type

Notices
Coat Type Discussions relating to the varying type

Old 09-24-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine archie View Post
Her coat looks great to me. I agree with USALhasa about the lighter colours. Remember Apsos that live in hot climates don't always develop as much undercoat as those that live in colder climates......... She is lovely xx
Hey there! I really wasnt aware of this fact. Thanks for letting me know. I will be worrying less.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Undercoat should be there from the beginning, growing and thickening from the off. It looks to me (and from how you are describing it) that she has one of a more finer texture than some. Here is a pic of my youngest when he was around 6 months old ....... (just so you can compare) ........

You have to remember that one factor is with the pedigree lines behind them. Some have profuse coats, some do not. Some have coats of a finer texture and some do not. Some have faster growing coats and some slower. This is where the word 'type' comes into play. I do need to mention though that not all golds have 'finer coats'. A lot of gold coats, gold-parti coats, gold sables etc etc do have dense coats from an early age. Again, I am a great believer in the 'lines of descent' and the 'type' behind these lines. Plus, an apso coat should never be soft and silky .... it should be as thus - Top coat long, heavy, straight, hard neither woolly nor silky. Moderate undercoat (this is as an adult).

It does help to 'help the coat' ... I use Almond Oil in the coats. Good tools and good products also help if the coat needs it. If an apso has an exceptional natural coat, it can more or less take any cheaper end product without conditioner on its coat. But you must also feed the coat from the inside as well as from the outside. Therefore, good nutrition is a must with added essential vitamins.

I hope this helps in some way
Aww. He is so adorable. And thanks for all the suggestions, I will be using almond oil too. You have got tons of knowledge
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine67 View Post
Hi,
My little lad Trady is cream and gold. He has a lovely, silky coat but always looks sparse next to his physically larger and heavier set big bro Oscar who's a classic black with white socks and bib. Oscar absolutely hates being groomed so I keep his coat short 'puppy' style.

In addition to his lighter frame, I also think it is to do with the way light refracts through the light coat and bounces off the light skin.

Trady tends to blow his undercoat, but it doesn't take long for the fullness to come back and he looks absolutely beautiful - not that I'm bias of course!

All the best with your lovely little bab.
Elaine
Hi! Oscar and Trady sound like two furballs of sunshine Can you send in some photographs?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Also, everyone, I am really sorry for not reaching back for ages. I had exams.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoApso View Post
Thanks for this. I think you are right. Btw, I am in love with your little teddy bears.n
Thanks They love the compliment!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 AM

Okay, so this might seem very awkward but I really think Pogo is having a weird growth of coat. Her coat on the body seems fine (I know it because I saw her brother from previous litter who was 8 months when we got Pogo and he had almost the same length of coat). BUT, her hair around the face do not seem to grow. Not the beard, the moustache, the eye area. NOTHING. They are the same in length as they were when Pogo was 4 months. They are not even that much in length that i can make a knot of an okayish length. I manage to make a very small knot. I dont know what it is, but its slightly weird ._.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:44 AM

A few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user37364_pic1241_1473973450.jpg (28.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg user37364_pic1245_1474135357.jpg (23.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg user37364_pic1246_1474135357.jpg (24.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoApso View Post
A few pictures
Hi Anuj, I am still going to go with the fact that it may be the lines behind her .... the breeding. Or, it could be that it is breaking off constantly but this would be extreme if there is no other dog to pull at that area in play .... is it breaking off when you groom in that area? Are you prepared to mention the breeding behind Pogo? It would help to know her background. Just trying to establish a reason as to why. All mine grow like weeds in any area on their bodies. How is the growth now elsewhere Anuj?

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 10-13-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Hi Anuj, I am still going to go with the fact that it may be the lines behind her .... the breeding. Or, it could be that it is breaking off constantly but this would be extreme if there is no other dog to pull at that area in play .... is it breaking off when you groom in that area? Are you prepared to mention the breeding behind Pogo? It would help to know her background. Just trying to establish a reason as to why. All mine grow like weeds in any area on their bodies. How is the growth now elsewhere Anuj?
Sure thing! No problem! I would have attached Pogo's KCI's documents but they are at home with mum and dad. I have been out of station for a while. So yeah, when we went to take Pogo, she was the last one left in the litter. It was a litter of four and all others were males. So the breeder has five Apsos. Pogo's grandma who is now 8 and lives a happy spayed life. Her grandpa who is 9 and is neutered. Her mum is 3 and dad is 4. And she has a brother who is now a year old. Her mum(Angel) has had only two litters as of yet. From the first, the breeder kept Pippin (Pogo's brother). The second litter in which Pogo was there, came on 2nd April. Her daddy (Jasper) was a showdog but is now on a temporary rest because he fell from the stairs and has hurt his front legs. The breeder kept all of them nicely trimmed in a Teddy cut. He only kept Pippin in full length. I will be sending his picture. Pogo's mum was pure white and her dad was dark brown with streaks of black. Grandma was Golden and Grandad was slightly cream.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Thats him at 8 months at the breeder's place.