Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Coat Type

Notices
Coat Type Discussions relating to the varying type

Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Take finger and thumb and rub a few strands of the coat from the top between them - if should feel 'grainy' and not soft - this will be the top guard coat coming through.

Please take what I'm about to say as good constructive advice hun as this is just a generalisation ... it does depend on whether a pup has come from excellent lines and from a very reputable, responsible breeder who will breed for the 'betterment of the breed' which will result in excellent temperaments, excellent health with all health tests done on the parents plus good, solid stock which includes superb coats. Did you see the links I gave you? The coats on these puppies is as the coat should be.

Can I ask which products and tools you are using on the coat Sally? Using good products and the right tools will go a long way in encouraging and helping a mediocre coat along during growing stages. More than anything, a good, intense conditioner should be used on the coat especially around his back end and lower legs and left for 5 mins to penetrate before rinsing out. When drying, the technique used will also determine the lay of the finished look. I'm presuming you are grooming him yourself - yes?

Going by the photos, the coat does look more like an 11 month growth of top coat rather than a 7 month growth if indeed this length on the top actually is the guard coat coming through because it is not through at 7 months old. One of the reasons I ask you to test it with finger and thumb ........ photos can also be deceiving too

If you intend to grow his coat hun, just let it grow as it's doing now until it is longer - then you will be able to see how it's panning out. You can then have it tidied up to grow evenly. They all differ even when the coats are of top quality because some are profuse and some are not, some look 'scraggy' during growth and some don't. Some have thick, natural wavy coats and some have finer, naturally straighter coats. Some have undercoats so thick that you could make a cushion from them lol and some don't.

The most easiest and best way to advise is to actually see him in person but this is not always an option due to distances either way, he is your beloved pooch and is loved which is the most important factor of all x

PS: A good quality diet also helps with a good coat

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM

That really helps thanks, his front end does feel grainy when you rub it but his back end is super soft. We use pin brush and a slicker brush on him, we shampoo him with either pets at home shampoo or Johnson's baby, I didn't even think to condition him but will start doing that. We've had him on a raw diet since we got him.

We have been grooming ourselves but I'm looking into local groomers at the minute just to give him a proper once over.

We're learning and want to do the best for him so everything's very much appreciated, thanks again.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Brilliant with the raw feeding - the best way to me! For coat, health and poop consistency and regularity plus lack of strong poop smell

It's the top of the coat over his back you should be feeling hun undercoats are softer than the top coat but when its puppy coat, it wont feel as hard/grainy anyway. Let it grow through. Be careful with groomers - suss them out first because not all groomers know about the apso coat - some say they do but they don't and all they see is 'clipping back' - too much, plus clipping back their feet and tails do you mind if I ask which area in the UK you live in? Just the area only - so that there may be another member near to you who can recommend a trusted groomer

You need a good pin brush with 27mm pins like the Madan, Chris Christensen or Mason Pearson, a good slicker is the doggyman slicker, shampoos from either 'Groomers' or 'Crown Royale' or 'Plush Puppy' and I think you should consider using 'Doreen Paige' Intense Conditioner to begin with - this is excellent .... links can be provided if you need them Johnson Baby No Tears is good for around the face as this does not sting the eyes if you accidently get some in them ... a with different products, buy the small sizes first to ensure they suit.

Anything else, please ask away x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 05-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look for them. We're in Lincolnshire, I've heard some horror stories about groomers so I'm being very cautious. How do you know who to trust, or is it just trial and error?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look for them. We're in Lincolnshire, I've heard some horror stories about groomers so I'm being very cautious. How do you know who to trust, or is it just trial and error?
You can usually tell by the way they come across and by what they tell you as in how they cut etc ...... and, if you look at some groomers online in your area, always look at the gallery to see how they cut apsos ..... bearing in mind a lot of owners ask for their dogs to be shaved back you must also ask them to ring you on your mobile before making any decisions that they have not discussed with you instead of going ahead without talking to you first. Some will let you stay and watch, some don't. To watch depends on whether your own dog will play up with you watching and a case of 'I just want mum' ....... but by watching, you know exactly what is going on. There are some horror stories, believe me ... here is one although not in the UK but it can happen here too ... http://www.lhasa-apso-forums.com/showthread.php?t=1112 (pics have been removed for some reason) ???