Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Coat Type

Notices
Coat Type Discussions relating to the varying type

Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 PM

Default Undercoat vs Puppy coat

Hi all, Im a first time Lhasa owner and i have a 6 month old Alfie. I've been reading about their coats and the coat change. I brush him every day/2 days normally and seem to always get a handful of coat out each time. But his coat is still very fluffy.

He has what i think to be his adult coat (its harsher texture and is jsust getting a fluffy undercoat) growing which is in a line all down his back and spreads half way down his sides. Below this and round his belly is fluffy softer coat which i presume is still his puppy coat.

His coat has been scissor trimmed so its about 3-4" all over - my mums an ex-groomer. I don't want to get him shaved i ideally want to leave him at this length so he looks like a lhasa but i can take him to the beach/woods and not have to worry about mats too much.

I was wondering if this looks normal for his coat for his age or if i need to get more of the fluffy puppy coat/undercoat out?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1477562755671617292671.jpg (46.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Alfie16; 10-27-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Edit for Adding picture
Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Same is with Pogo. She is going to be 7 months old in November. I havent trimmed her as of yet but her coat is of the length of Alfie's. I brush her once a day.
She has a harsh and coarse upper coat and below it, is a super soft and fluffy undercoat. I think the coat is just amazing. I think they would naturally start shedding the undercoat around 10 months of age and that is when they develop the adult coat.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie16 View Post
Hi all, Im a first time Lhasa owner and i have a 6 month old Alfie. I've been reading about their coats and the coat change. I brush him every day/2 days normally and seem to always get a handful of coat out each time. But his coat is still very fluffy.

He has what i think to be his adult coat (its harsher texture and is jsust getting a fluffy undercoat) growing which is in a line all down his back and spreads half way down his sides. Below this and round his belly is fluffy softer coat which i presume is still his puppy coat.

His coat has been scissor trimmed so its about 3-4" all over - my mums an ex-groomer. I don't want to get him shaved i ideally want to leave him at this length so he looks like a lhasa but i can take him to the beach/woods and not have to worry about mats too much.

I was wondering if this looks normal for his coat for his age or if i need to get more of the fluffy puppy coat/undercoat out?

Thanks!
Hi, an Apsos coat can start to change to the adult coat anywhere between 6 & 16 months. During this time you may find the coat matts a lot more. I would suggest grooming everyday to minimize knots forming. If you do it each day you will gradually comb out the loose undercoat xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 10-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Elaine, also make sure you use a good comb as well as a brush xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 PM

I highly recommend a medium toothed comb and a slicker brush, especially if you aren't growing a full coat out. The slicker really grabs the loose undercoat, and the comb is great for getting the tangles, parting the hair, and cleaning your slicker brush. His coat looks good, and yes, the adult coat begins at the shoulder, spreads down the spine, and goes from there.