Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > Toxic Dangers

Notices
Toxic Dangers There are many dangers that can affect our dogs' health that some of us do not realise. Here we can warn, discuss and advise

Old 10-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Conkers can be killers!!!

As we are getting to that time of year where we are finding conkers on the floor, I thought I would remind people not to let their dogs chew them as they are poisonous.
They cause a drop in their red blood cells.
Symptoms are;
Diarrhoea & vomiting
Seizures
Jaundice
If you see any of these within 12 hours, please see your vet asap.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:47 AM

Every year I panic about this, because they all have a habit of bringing them back from a walk!

Bobby and Belle carry them all the way from the conker tree, round the walk, and home again! Recently Dolly has started copying. Dont mind too much as they only carry and dont chew, but still I have my eye on them.

Then when we get home, I take them off them, their little faces drop! But cant be too careful!

Thanks again Elaine for the reminder.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awhite11 View Post
Every year I panic about this, because they all have a habit of bringing them back from a walk!

Bobby and Belle carry them all the way from the conker tree, round the walk, and home again! Recently Dolly has started copying. Dont mind too much as they only carry and dont chew, but still I have my eye on them.

Then when we get home, I take them off them, their little faces drop! But cant be too careful!

Thanks again Elaine for the reminder.

I'll second that. Oscar was a complete nightmare for scooping up anything his nose lead him to.. He doesn't have much opportunity these days as he travels by pram and isn't allowed off his extending lead, so by careful choice of location I can prevent naughty nibbles!

Trady isn't interested in conkers. He makes up for it with an all year love of chocolate () boiled sweets, crisps, sandwiches... Honestly, you'd think he never saw food! Unfortunately, we've got 3 primary schools and 2 nurseries and a playgroup in our road so there's never a shortage of pickings.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome Amanda xx
Elaine, your last sentence had me in stitches xx
Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Thank you so much for this Elaine ..... people need to be very vigilant in watching over their dogs. Thankfully, none of mine pick anything up to carry or chew and I am so grateful they do not .......... just as they have never chewed any poisonous plants when youngsters ......... really feel very lucky. Nevertheless, some do. Amanda, I did smile to myself when I read about your's carrying them home but I know you will be very watchful. Elaine (67) ...... you just make me laugh lol (sorry but I couldn't help it) x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ

Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Wow i never knew this Elaine..... good to know and i will pass the message on to dodgy friends xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

We're lucky in that we don't encounter many conkers on our walks, as not many horse chestnuts around, what I do have to look out for though is acorns 🌰 🐿 as we have two oak trees on our drive, they can cause stomach upsets and kidney disease in dogs and Mazie LOVES trying to get them in her mouth.
Thank you for the info on the conkers Elaine. 👍🏿
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Rachel, I hope your friends don't know you call them dodgy........!!! xx
Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Thank you so much for this Elaine ..... people need to be very vigilant in watching over their dogs. Thankfully, none of mine pick anything up to carry or chew and I am so grateful they do not .......... just as they have never chewed any poisonous plants when youngsters ......... really feel very lucky. Nevertheless, some do. Amanda, I did smile to myself when I read about your's carrying them home but I know you will be very watchful. Elaine (67) ...... you just make me laugh lol (sorry but I couldn't help it) x
Bobby always has done! He can be quite clever, if he is feeling lazy, he will often drop it and pick it up on the way back! He has done it from been small! Then I guess the others just copy.

I have to be really watchful of Dolly as she picks all sorts up, she is quite good though, because if I say "what have you got? Spit it out" - she spits! No such luck with the other 2, but Dolly spits out what she has and I throw it away! I wish I could video this to prove its true, but with 3 dogs I dont have a quick enough reaction!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine archie View Post
As we are getting to that time of year where we are finding conkers on the floor, I thought I would remind people not to let their dogs chew them as they are poisonous.
They cause a drop in their red blood cells.
Symptoms are;
Diarrhoea & vomiting
Seizures
Jaundice
If you see any of these within 12 hours, please see your vet asap.
Thanks for the info Elaine....I didnt know this x