Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Introductions > Introductions

Notices
Introductions Please tell us a little about yourself and your Apso/s

Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM

Default New Lhasa owner

Hi
A new Lhasa owner here just to say hi and get some of advice

This is Shiloh and we got him from Dogs Trust he's 18 months old he's house trained great with kids all ages all in all he's a great dog but there is one problem we have so any help would be great .

If you are out walking and he see's others dogs he fine he sniff them and have a bit of a play then as soon as you walk away he goes mental then when the dogs out of sight he's fine he's great with people as well but as soon as he see's people through the window or the patio of the house he goes bannanas sometimes he's that worked up he does not even listen to you .

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (97.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by inmyeyes7; 05-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi & welcome. Brilliant that you have taken on a rescue!. What I would do is teach a 'watch me' cue. So while you're still at home, get Shilohs(who is absolutely gorgeous ) attention with his favourite treat and hold it near your eye, when he looks at the treat/ your eye, use the cue "watch me" and give him the treat. Practice lots and lots at home. When he's got the idea that you say watch me, he looks at you, he gets a treat, then try it outside. Eventually when he's said hello to another dog ,before you walk away, use the cue and treat. Hopefully while you're doing this the other person will have walked away......with no problems.
As for seeing people walking passed, try to restrict his access to the window for quite a while, this may break the habit. Remember, it won't be a quick fix and you need to be calm, patient and consistent.....Good luck, and let us know how you get on
Would you like to introduce yourself in the 'Introductions' board so other members can welcome you, thank you

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items

Last edited by elaine archie; 05-27-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Hi, welcome to you and your gorgeous Shiloh. I fully recommend Elaine's advice, especially if Shiloh is treat orientated. If that doesn't work, then I would recommend training classes..

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Thanks very much for your advice i will try it.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 PM

Hi and welcome,

That last sentence sums up a Lhasa to a tee. Many a day I have been sitting on sofa and Mia ( My Lhasa ) who seems to be sleeping just jumps up and goes bezerk

Gary
Old 05-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyeyes7 View Post
Hi
A new Lhasa owner here just to say hi and get some of advice

This is Shiloh and we got him from Dogs Trust he's 18 months old he's house trained great with kids all ages all in all he's a great dog but there is one problem we have so any help would be great .

If you are out walking and he see's others dogs he fine he sniff them and have a bit of a play then as soon as you walk away he goes mental then when the dogs out of sight he's fine he's great with people as well but as soon as he see's people through the window or the patio of the house he goes bannanas sometimes he's that worked up he does not even listen to you .

Thanks in advance
Hi again. I have moved your post to the ' introductions board ', Any questions please post under the applicable boards. Cheers

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hi & welcome to the forum... Shiloh is a beauty... I have 2 Apso's Candy & Amy and i use treats when passing other dogs, works for my girls as they use to go nuts and now they mostly ignore other dogs

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome ..... my black boy Kai is like this ... he is very lively when it comes to other dogs ........ some he is calm with and some he just down right does not like .... who knows why but hey, they are no different to us humans (we don't like everyone do we) lol ........ I recommend Elaine's advice highly by the way.

At the end of the day, they are not guard dogs but they are 'warners' .... and I personally prefer mine to be this way. This said, it can become tedious when it's OTT though.

He is lovely by the way .......... I'm Lia and I have four at home with me (two females and two males) ... and I co-own a boy who lives with my daughter ......... WELCOME x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry onĒ