Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > The Lhasa Diet > Dry Kibble

Notices
Dry Kibble Which do your dogs prefer?

Old 05-02-2017, 04:12 AM

Arrow Have you ever calculated calorie intake?

Hi all. Dory's been pretty fussy with Acana since the beginning. She's about 4 months now and around 3.25 kg. She'd have 100ml and rarely 150ml a day. We'd have to put some kibble on the floor to start her off and even then she would just walk away often. We did the whole schedule thing, giving her enough time to decide to eat.

Anyways this thread is not about that. When we switched to Orijen, she'd eat her 2/3 cups with no trouble at all. I was just wondering if she's getting enough as per the feeding guide. This calculates to 350 calories for the day but I've been reading she could be needing around 450-500 calories till she's reached her expected adult weight.

Any insight appreciated.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Administrator

So many differing ways of feeding puppies these days .......... go with the measurements on the pack regardless of calorie intake. If you go over too many times you could end up with a 'fat' puppy and progress onto an over-weight pooch. To stay healthy, stick with the measurements. Acana is part of the Orijen group ... this said, the orijen is the better of the two in so far as content eg: higher pure meat content (rather than the rubbish). Acana is a very good food but Orijen is the better out of the two.

You also have to remember that different breeds need different amounts/calories. The more active breeds (like the working breeds) need a much higher content of protein, fats and calories.

Are you feeding the actual 'puppy' food ........ or adult?

Puppies are obvious masters of the sad puppy-dog eyes, the look that typically results in a crumbling of your firm convictions and leads to extra treats. Although you're rewarded with frantic tail-wagging and face-licking, falling for those pleading eyes too often can lead your little puppy down an unhealthy path. Apart from the onset of obesity, eating too much can lead to food bloat, or even a life-threatening condition called gastric dilation-volvulus which essentially means a puppy has eaten himself sick and is in danger of suffering from a twisted stomach. I am not saying this will happen but it can happen.

Also, the high amount of nutrients and calories in puppy food helps a puppy build strong bones and grow into a healthy adult. Too much food causes their little bodies to go into overdrive creating bone too fast.

Remember that a puppy's eyes are bigger than it's stomach

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Lia. I've always gone on 'gut instinct' with amounts when I've been feeding my pups. Whatever amount you decide to feed, keep an eye on her weight. You need to make sure that you increase the amount if she starts to lose weight and decrease if she suddenly starts piling the weight on. Start with the amount on the packet and go from there. xx

www.photobucket.com/archies-photos
Old 05-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine archie View Post
You need to make sure that you increase the amount if she starts to lose weight and decrease if she suddenly starts piling the weight on. Start with the amount on the packet and go from there. xx
Thanks Elaine, I mean't to have mentioned this too

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 05-14-2017, 04:24 PM

i really think they guess the calorie amount on things. I've compared identical products and found very different calorie counts. Feel your dog's ribs, if you can just make them out you are doing good. If you can't feel them cut back. If you can feel them easily feed more. That's the best way.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALhasa View Post
i really think they guess the calorie amount on things. I've compared identical products and found very different calorie counts. Feel your dog's ribs, if you can just make them out you are doing good. If you can't feel them cut back. If you can feel them easily feed more. That's the best way.
My vet always goes by the feel of the ribs, not the dogs weight xx

www.photobucket.com/archies-photos
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Yes I agree that the ribs are a good indication

Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Agreeing with everyone. I do refer to the back of the packet to check the requirement but I have never really followed it. Pogo has kibble 5-6 times a week but whenever I feed her, it is just an estimate. Overtime, we get to know how much our pets can eat and what amount is good for them. As long as the weight is under control, go ahead with whatever amount you are feeding.