Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Lhasa Apso Discussions > Safety First

Notices
Safety First Safety of our Apsos is paramount. All levels of safety need to be considered. Any concerns, advice given and sought, please relate to this section

Old 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Thumbs down Swimming Pools With Chlorine in and Salty Sea Water

For those of you across the world who are lucky enough to own a swimming pool but use chlorine in it, be aware that its far from good to let your dogs swim in it.

Chlorine is notoriously drying – and dogs aren’t immune to its parching effects either. If you let your pooch swim in the pool they are likely to be more prone to itchy, dry skin and a dull and a dry coat because the pool chemicals strip the skin and coat of their natural protective oils. Remember also that a dog’s skin is more sensitive than human skin, with a pH that is nearly neutral (like pure water) – human skin pH is much more acidic therefore we can tolerate the harsher acidity of chemicals (like chlorine) much better than our canine kids.

Chlorine could even change the colour of your pooch's coat - it could affect dark coats by dulling and even bleaching them out and even turn those gold/white/light coats green!

And think on this one too ............... in hot sun and on the beach alongside salt water - this isnt good either so we have to prepare their coats just the same way as we would prepare our own hair! Even if its not sunny and on the beach on a cold day, the salt water will still have an effect - spray the whole coat with moisterising conditioning spray and spray well.

Hope this helps x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Salty sea water definately makes coats naff. When Bud comes with us to the East Coast, his coat is dull and feels awful after going in the sea and it starts him shedding more!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnlen View Post
Salty sea water definately makes coats naff. When Bud comes with us to the East Coast, his coat is dull and feels awful after going in the sea and it starts him shedding more!
I was about to ask on salty sea water! Good to know!

Lia, i wrote that Chanel had got herself into the pool in other thread, anyway, just to make it clear, I don't have a swimming pool at home, I live in an apartment building. But I live in the last two floor up the building (it's a duplex apartment and it has an open sky area on the second floor) and my mom got ourselves a plastic jacuzi... Because we just love so much to sunbathe, and the weather here is beyond hot so she bought it for us to fresh up, and Chanel junped in, it's filled with only pure water, so I guess it's safe for her to get in, isn't it? And boy she does it a lot. If we leave the glass door that leads to outside open, she will come back inside soaking wet! She is loving it!

Anyway, the information is good, because sometimes we go to a friend's beach house that has a pool and I'll need to keep an eye on the girls next time!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Lol you are very lucky Isis ............. we had our own indoor swimming pool at the farmhouse we sold just before we moved here but we didnt use chlorine at all - we used products that were 'good' and no smell or chlorine, but we didnt have the dogs then and anyway, I wouldnt have let them jump into the pool if we did have them - I'd be too frightened that the weight of their coats would 'pull them under the water' ................I do miss that house so much and sometimes we wish we didnt sell it ............ it would have been an apso heaven!

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 01-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
Lol you are very lucky Isis ............. we had our own indoor swimming pool at the farmhouse we sold just before we moved here but we didnt use chlorine at all - we used products that were 'good' and no smell or chlorine, but we didnt have the dogs then and anyway, I wouldnt have let them jump into the pool if we did have them - I'd be too frightened that the weight of their coats would 'pull them under the water' ................I do miss that house so much and sometimes we wish we didnt sell it ............ it would have been an apso heaven!
I totally understand. We took Chanel to the groomer last week and now she is a shorty coat girl... Well not the her coat was too long, but it do not matt now, and I guess she is more confortable with the heat of summer. And is more free to get wet, if she is feeling like it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis_Chanel View Post
I totally understand. We took Chanel to the groomer last week and now she is a shorty coat girl... Well not the her coat was too long, but it do not matt now, and I guess she is more confortable with the heat of summer. And is more free to get wet, if she is feeling like it.
I wish I could give mine the chance to swim but Im too frightened to do it - but, I wish there was a way for them as Im sure they would love it xx

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch View Post
I wish I could give mine the chance to swim but Im too frightened to do it - but, I wish there as a way for them as Im sure they would love it xx
You should try a pet life preserver/jacket, and of course go to the water with them, each at time at first, just to be safer. It can't go wrong if you careful, and like you said they might love it! just a thought.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You should try a pet life preserver/jacket, and of course go to the water with them, each at time at first, just to be safer. It can't go wrong if you careful, and like you said they might love it! just a thought.
Thank you - never thought about this at all ........... then its the coats that will matt if not dealt with immediately - all mine are in long coat you see and I show too so I would have to be very careful - but, thank you so much for this - it will help x

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM

So glad I could help! They deserve to know the feeling of being inside a pool and enjoy it with you!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So glad I could help! They deserve to know the feeling of being inside a pool and enjoy it with you!
Thanks hunny .............. one day hey xxx