Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Health Issues > Toxic Dangers

Notices
Toxic Dangers There are many dangers that can affect our dogs' health that some of us do not realise. Here we can warn, discuss and advise

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-13-2017, 05:24 PM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 68,357
Exclamation Paracetamol and Dogs

Paracetamol contains the active ingredient acetaminophen, and can be toxic for dogs if administered in larger doses. Paracetamol is fatal in cats, but may be given to dogs under strict veterinary supervision. Paracetamol

Paracetamol is also known as acetaminophen, and is marketed as Tylenol and other brand names. The use of paracetamol is recommended in canines for:
  • Respiratory infections
  • Fever
  • Pain management (especially bones and muscles)
  • Inflammation
Paracetamol is rarely recommended for use in dogs, as there are other drugs that have similar effects and are not as damaging for the liver. Paracetamol has been formulated for use in humans, but can be used in canines with great caution. Paracetamol can be toxic in humans and may lead to liver damage, while in dogs, an overdose can be deadly.

Paracetamol is toxic for cats, as the bodies of felines don't produce an enzyme, the glucuronyl transferase, which is necessary to assimilate the drug. Dogs produce this enzyme, but the drug may influence the liver function and may also cause liver damage.

Paracetamol Toxicity
Paracetamol can cause liver toxicity if administered to dogs in high doses. A dog that has had an overdose of paracetamol will display a few symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Discoloration of the tongue and pale gums
  • Lack of coordination
  • Drooling
  • Confusion
The dog may not display these symptoms until after the acetaminophen has entered his system. You should get immediate help, as the dog may die within a few hours after the ingestion of paracetamol. Paracetamol will cause liver failure, which is fatal. The dog should receive activated charcoal, which should absorb the ingested paracetamol. The vet will also apply liquid therapy.

A paracetamol overdose may be treated with an antidote, known as acetylcysteine (or N-acetylcysteine or NAC), which can prevent liver damage and allow the body to recover. However, the antidote is not always administered in time and to prevent death, a liver transplant may be needed. Liver transplant in dogs can be complicated and may not be performed by all vets.

Some dogs may die from the formation of methaemoglobin, caused by paracetamol. In other cases, death may occur due to hemolythic anemia, due to the formation of Heinz bodies that limit the transportation of oxygen in the blood and can cause asphyxiation.

Paracetamol Dosage in Dogs
Paracetamol is restricted in use for dogs. When used, the vet will determine a precise dose, so that the dog's liver is not affected. The dose will depend on the dog's size and age.

Paracetamol Contraindications
If the dog has a liver condition, paracetamol is strictly forbidden. The components of paracetamol influence the liver function and if the liver is damaged, the drug may be fatal. A dog that is under narcotic or analgesic medication shouldn't take paracetamol.
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:31 PM
elaine archie's Avatar
elaine archie elaine archie is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Posts: 21,482
Default

I would never dream of giving a dog Paracetamol, and after reading this, I wouldn't be happy even if a vet prescribed it xx
__________________
Love is...being owned by a Lhasa Apso

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 68,357
Default

Ditto Elaine x
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2017, 04:21 PM
USALhasa's Avatar
USALhasa USALhasa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bradenton, Florida United States of America
Posts: 289
Default

If your dog is large enough and is truly suffering, you don't feel so bad if you have to give one in a pinch. My old german shepherd had arthritis in her hips and couldn't even walk one day. Gave her one(91 lbs dog). Vet said we shouldn't give it, ibuprofen is safer, but he also said one wouldn't hurt her. It didn't and she was able to walk around, so I suppose in some circumstances it can be okay, and better than doing nothing at all.
__________________
Lhasas are like potato chips...you can't have just one!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 PM
tootsiepops's Avatar
tootsiepops tootsiepops is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: south lanarkshire
Posts: 22,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine archie View Post
I would never dream of giving a dog Paracetamol, and after reading this, I wouldn't be happy even if a vet prescribed it xx
Me neither. I wouldn't even take it myself. It's very hard on the liver...
__________________
Rosie



My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 PM
bunch's Avatar
bunch bunch is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 68,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALhasa View Post
If your dog is large enough and is truly suffering, you don't feel so bad if you have to give one in a pinch. My old german shepherd had arthritis in her hips and couldn't even walk one day. Gave her one(91 lbs dog). Vet said we shouldn't give it, ibuprofen is safer, but he also said one wouldn't hurt her. It didn't and she was able to walk around, so I suppose in some circumstances it can be okay, and better than doing nothing at all.
Thanks for your input .... so glad it helped rather than an adverse effect x
__________________
AN APSO IS FOR LIFE AND MINE ARE LOVE MY HONEY, LEXI, BRUCE, KAI AND 'MR MOOKS'

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.