Go Back   Lhasa Apso Forums > Genetics/Faults > Mouths/Teeth

Notices
Mouths/Teeth Discussions on the mouth change, teeth alignment, jaw movement and any other aspect relating to the same, teeth cleaning - any matter related to this area

Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Unhappy Radical tooth removal

Our 5 year old Lhasa lost a couple teeth two years ago to loss of bone. She won't let us clean her teeth but we have been giving her an antibaterical in her water every day which stopped the awful smell from her breath.

She just returned from two weeks with a great dog sitter and her breath had reverted to type, so we took her to the vet for cleaning this morning.

Our normal vet is off sick and this girl called ten minutes ago to say she has pulled 10 teeth.

She said they were all in advanced stages of decay and loose, yet our normal vet saw her just 4 weeks ago and said they all looked fine.

Can I sue them for this? - I'm in the UK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pepper July 25th 2013.jpg (53.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by bigwordsmith; 09-15-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-15-2016, 04:27 PM

Bad odor indicates infection. I'd say your new vet is correct. I had an old German Shepherd who had to have most of her teeth pulled, and did much better after. Maybe your old vet isn't as up to snuff with dental. Make sure to keep up the teeth cleaning, and that she has crunchy food to help in between. She probably won't loose any more. Sorry for it, but these things do happen. Old age gets us all.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Agree with USALHASA, bad teeth are better out, for the wellbeing of your dog..xx

My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes. -
Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM

In australia you sign a consent form before any surgery. This allows to vet to carry out procedures that they deem necessary. So to sue them may prove costly and difficult. Your new vet most likely could get a more thorough examination done whilst your dog was out to it seeing what your regular vet couldnt.
Atleast now your dog is not at risk of kidney damage caused by gum disease.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

The only way you will find out if the vet was right to pull the teeth is if your Lhasa still has bad breath.........bad breath can also indicate upset tummy/ tummy problems. If it was down to bad teeth your dog will certainly feel better for having them out and once it's all healed will have no problems with eating xx

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/thepetparacordstudio
Handmade paracord leads, collars and other items
Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Wow thats a lot of teeth, your old vet 'should' have been aware if they were that bad, if they were then they are better out than in xx

I was told to get in shape.... Round is a shape!!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Not all vets agree with each other and some are better than others. What should have happened though is that you should have been asked to 'sign the paperwork' re the teeth and it's possible extractions. Nevertheless, a good vet would never remove teeth unless it is absolutely necessary and by doing so, it is saving a lot of hassle later down the line both for you and for your pooch. Bad breath is a huge indicator that something is not quite right.

There may be a specific lesion in the mouth which is causing pain and predisposing to infection, or there may be a general accumulation of tartar which may result in periodontal disease (infection around the teeth). Dental disease has been shown to allow bacteria in to the system and potentially to cause infections elsewhere in the body.

Problems which necessitate extraction include chips or fractures which go into the pulp cavity, abscesses, cavities and severe periodontal disease (pyorrhoea).

Periodontitis is irreversible, characterised by loss of attachment for the tooth in the socket, which may lead to tooth mobility, loss of tooth, and severe infections. Bacteria may potentially enter the bloodstream every time your dog chews, causing infections much further afield in the heart, lungs and kidneys.

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Old 09-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Also want to add that teeth don't always go bad from lack of care alone. Dogs that use their mouths a lot, bite work or hard chewing, can cause the same thing. Bunch is right, good vets don't pull teeth for the fun of it, and bacteria does spread throughout the body.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Vets vary, some will do everything possible to save the tooth, others will yank them out at the slightest sign of looseness or decay.
The fact that your own vet saw the dog 4 weeks ago and said they looked fine tells me the other vet was a bit over eager!
However they will not admit that the vet was heavyhanded, will just say that upon examination there was a bad problem so they removed them.
Im sorry its too late you havent a leg to stand on, I would however put a formal complaint in to the surgery.
Working in a vets I have seen both sides of this argument!
Lyn
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Administrator

How is the situation ? x

Dogs are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms, they love us purely and loyally no matter what - they give us the strength to carry on”

Tags
lhasa, radical surgery, tooth decay